Some kind of mathematical formula that I obviously dont know about?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter M. next
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula Mathematical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
M. next
Messages
380
Reaction score
0
Hello there.
Can you please explain the following:
Let us suppose that δ is very much less than r, and expand |r+δ|^-1 in powers of δ/r. Keeping the lower order terms gives:
|r+δ|^-1 ≈ 1/r.(1-r.δ/r^2) + 1/2r [3(δ.r/r)^2-(δ/r)^2]

How did they reach here? is this kind of a mathematical formula that i don't know about?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that your aproximation is correct? If I set δ = 0 then the equation becomes

1/|r| ≈ 1/r

That doesn't look right?
 
|r+δ| = |r||1+δ/r|. Since δ/r << 1, you may use |r|(1+δ/r).

Take the reciprocal and expand (1+δ/r)-1 in a power series.
 
What do you exactly mean by a power series, mathman?
 
I would check the approximation formula that you quote, too. That is, evaluate it for a small delta/r, say, .0015, and verify that it gives a good approximation. (Otherwise you might be futilely trying to arrive at a formula that you have transcribed wrongly. I haven't checked it.)
 
(1+x)-1 = 1 - x + x2 - x3 + x4 - ...

Formula holds for |x| < 1.