Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Yard-sales to get rid of stuff not real profitable.

1. Sep 2, 2011 #1

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and a neighbor are having a garage sale this weekend to clear out some excess stuff. I have gotten a bit proactive and have sold the the tires from her old Legacy for $50 (they are like new and probably cost over $200 for the set). I gave her a printed well-reasoned description of my forged Hogan Edge golf clubs and extras, and she just sold those for $75 today. We lost a lot of money on both deals, but it's better than holding on to stuff hoping to get a fair return - especially when you live out in the boonies. The tires were a no-brainer. How many lawn-sale addicts can look at a stack of new tires and determine if they will fit their vehicles? I called a neighbor who has a car that the tires would fit - he rode up on his golf cart and asked what I wanted for them - I asked if he had $50 in his pocket. That bill could have caught on fire, as fast as it came out his pants.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some people have yard sales with the goal of making money. I'm not one of those people. For me, it's more like "I'll give you $1 to take that printer away from here!"

Just saving me landfill fees, that's all.

4. Sep 2, 2011 #3

turbo

Gold Member

That's my philosophy. If anything turns out positive, it's likely not to be on the cash side, but on the "Get rid of that crap!" side.

5. Sep 2, 2011 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's what the "give and take" at the local transfer station is for. If I clean it up a bit, or if I need a receipt, I take it to Goodwill. The St. Vinnie dumpsters are good if I don't feel like driving all the way to Goodwill.

"And that makes me feel good about myself! I'm a good person for giving away my $#!+ "

Biggest reason is the the time consumption. There has never been a single weekend since the first kid was born that we could have devoted to sitting in our driveway watching strangers look at our history. Life is short. Every weekend is precious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook