Year 12 Cosmology extended research task

In summary, Raul is an experienced student who is having trouble coming up with a thesis topic for an Extended Research Task (ERT). He is seeking advice from others in order to find a good option. He is considering the Big Bang and the Formation of the Elements as his thesis.
DJ-Smiles
Hey guys,

I am currently in year 12 and have been asked to develop a thesis on cosmology for an Extended research task (ERT) and I am bewildered. Nothing is coming to mind at the moment and I am struggling. I have no idea what to do mine on. the teacher gave us a list of topics that we might be able to write about, they are:

The Big Bang Theory and the Formation of the Elements
Future of the Universe
Stellar Evolution
Critical Density of the Universe
Black Holes
“Missing” mass dark matter
Olbers’ Paradox
Quark Conformation
Hubble and the Red Shift
Hubble and his Discoveries
Quasars
Stars
Cosmological Principle
Galaxies
Steady State Vs Big Bang Theory

If anybody can give me the slightest amount of help or guidance I would be so so so so so thankful.

Cheers guys, Raul.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would go with "The Big Bang and the Formation of the Elements".

There's a whole lot of interesting information about fundamental forces, particles, and the standard model. You can actually "beef this up", if you consider this.

And to point you in the right direction, research what physicists currently think happened between the Big Bang, and the formation of the first hydrogen atom: you'll find a lot more than you might think.

Hmm ok then. that is actually sounding good. So if I did this, what could my thesis be? and then some arguments to back it up? At first I disregarded that option because I didn't actually know what it would entail. My main concern is the physics behind it. I need to be able to understand it haha which shouldn't be too hard. Is there a lot of maths for that stuff? because I enjoy the maths component and often it helps me to understand it, plus it always helps assignments if you have equations to justify these things.

Thanks a lot for your input, this is most likely my best bet. I was really struggling to think of something because i have a biology ERT at the moment as well and I have been putting so much work into it.

Much love and God Bless, Raul.

1. What is the purpose of the Year 12 Cosmology extended research task?

The purpose of the Year 12 Cosmology extended research task is to provide students with an opportunity to explore a specific topic in cosmology in depth and develop their research and critical thinking skills in the process.

2. How is the Year 12 Cosmology extended research task different from other assignments?

The Year 12 Cosmology extended research task is different from other assignments in that it requires students to conduct their own independent research and present their findings in a formal report, rather than completing a set of prescribed tasks or answering specific questions.

3. Can students choose any topic for their Year 12 Cosmology extended research task?

While students have some flexibility in choosing their topic, it should be related to cosmology and approved by their teacher. They may also be given a list of suggested topics to choose from.

4. What sources should students use for their Year 12 Cosmology extended research task?

Students should use a variety of reliable and credible sources for their research, including scientific journals, books, and reputable websites. It is important to critically evaluate the sources and avoid using biased or unreliable information.

5. How should students structure their Year 12 Cosmology extended research task?

The structure of the research task may vary, but it typically includes an introduction, literature review, methodology, results, discussion, and conclusion. Students should also include appropriate citations and a reference list in their report.