Yogurt Tablets: Making Fresh Yogurt from Milk with Seed Yogurt and Baker's Yeast

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Frenemy90210
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Frenemy90210
For the purpose of making a yogurt from milk, one needs a seed yogurt, which is nothing but just a spoonful of yogurt. Is it possible to make tablets of these yogurt bacteria (Acidophyllus ?) so that these tablets can be simply dropped in the milk to make fresh yogurt ?

Has anyone tried making a yogurt using baker's yeast as a seed ? if yes, how does it taste ?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Tablet starters almost certainly, because you can buy a dry powder comprising milk powder + starter culture and sugar, and you just need to add water and keep it warm. I understand you can use the powder contents of suitable probiotic capsules as an alternative starter.

Some cake recipes call for a cup of warm milk with yeast activated and foaming in it. I think you'll find it tastes just very yeasty, though I haven't let it continue for hours. Yogurt culturing uses various bacteria; I can't say I've heard of using yeasts, though maybe somewhere there's a cultured milk beverage based on yeasts.

If you are seeking variety, it is possible to make a non-dairy yogurt by adding probiotics or yogurt bacteria to coconut cream, for example. I think there's a trick to having it successfully set, but which I can't offhand recall.
 
Ygggdrasil said:
Isn't this what kefir is?
Not without bacteria, as far as I know.

I think with just baker's yeast and milk all you'll have is a good start for a loaf of artisan bread.
 
Without Lactobacillus acidophilus the flavor may be too sour, too bitter, or not consistent enough (not dense enough to have the "yoghurty" texture). I make my own yoghurt and L.acidophilus works best.