Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You just might get what you wish for

1. Free will

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Divine determination

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Self-control

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Fulfillment of wishes

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. See below

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    Which would you most prefer - free will, divine determination, self-control or fulfillment of wishes?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm...well, I already have free will. Self-control? Yep, pretty much have that too. Divine determination...I don't believe in supernatural, so I can't have that, even if I wanted it.

So that leaves fulfillment of wishes...oh yeah, that's exactly what I want :wink:.

4. Feb 16, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...so why is "see below" an option? Why would I vote for "see below"?

5. Feb 16, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Couldn't I wish for free will? How is this not the strictly superior option?

Anyone who votes for anything else simply isn't trying to game the system

6. Feb 16, 2009 #5
    Lisa,

I looked below the poll, and there you were!

7. Feb 16, 2009 #6
    Shredder,

Next time I'll try a poll with more options.

8. Feb 16, 2009 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I'll be your fairy godmother. <swish, swish of the magic wand!!!> Poof! You have free will!

9. Feb 16, 2009 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do I know I freely chose to have free will though? I'm concerned that I didn't have a choice in making this decision, and demand to be sent back to my original state

10. Feb 16, 2009 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everyone has free will. Some may not realize it, and some may choose not to use it. But we're all born with it.

11. Feb 16, 2009 #10
    I would wish for fulfillment of all wishes and then just wish for the other three (after the big house, fast car and "norwegian lesbians that feed me grapes and know how to sing")

12. Feb 17, 2009 #11
    what do you mean by free will?

13. Feb 17, 2009 #12
    i think it means self-control.

14. Feb 17, 2009 #13
    The way I use it, free will differs from self-control (for the most part) in that the former is more inclusive and physical, while the latter is less inclusive and physiological.

15. Feb 17, 2009 #14
    I said self control..
    wishes can be endless.

16. Feb 17, 2009 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, man, I wish I could change my choice.

But, like you said, be careful or just might get what you wish for. What if Astronuc had been the person right below the poll - he's too hairy!

17. Feb 17, 2009 #16
    now that i've had more time to soak in the idea, i do wonder if one could ever feel true pleasure if you had perfect self-control. so many of life's greatest pleasures seem to involve a certain amount of letting go.

18. Feb 17, 2009 #17

wolram

Gold Member

I wish for a better memory mine is like a 100yr old capacitor.

19. Feb 18, 2009 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Free will for me. Fulfillment of my wishes would have cost me, and others, a lot over the past few decades. I already have self-control, but chose to not exercise it. Divine intervention isn't an option, since there is no supreme being. Why wasn't there an option involving Jell-O?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook