Jobs/career advice needed for IT/Computer science

hermes58
Hello everyone,

I did my studies and finished my master's in natural sciences, only to find out that the ground is too shaky and jobs/prospects are scarce. Also, after long term unemployment, I lost a little my interest in academic work. Since I have a second degree in business administration, I would like to know which (easy) IT/computer science skills could I possibly learn for home-based/flexible, stable and international opportunities in all areas but especially in finance, as it is somewhat related to business administration. I am also open to ideas for 2-year degree options. I would really appreciate your feedback. Also, I do not like routine work much, so I would prefer areas and skills offering room for self-development, diversity etc. Keep in mind that I would be a complete beginner (or stranger to be honest) and I don't have any skills at the moment.

Wishing you a nice day and thanks in advance.

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF , Hermes58. I'd suggest some type of programming. Are you knowledgeable in any?

WWGD said:
Welcome to PF , Hermes58. I'd suggest some type of programming. Are you knowledgeable in any?
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'd be an absolute beginner in IT/computer science and I have no prior knowledge. I'd appreciate detailed advice.

Honestly, I think you would be better served with a job now rather than more school.

If I saw a resume that said - "Got a degree in business, but decided I didn't want to do that. Then got a degree in science, but decided I didn't want to do that. Then got a degree/certificate/whatever in CS or IT..." I would not put it on the top of the pile.

It might also help you tailor your expectations. For example, "Home-based" and "international opportunities" are sort of polar opposites.

Vanadium 50 said:
It might also help you tailor your expectations. For example, "Home-based" and "international opportunities" are sort of polar opposites.
One exception would be a work-from-home job for international IT call center support.

Likes gwnorth
CrysPhys said:
One exception would be a work-from-home job for international IT call center support.
Maybe, but he also said "finance" and "do not like routine work". So that doesn't sound like a good match.

Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe, nut he also said "finance" and "do not like routine work". So that doesn't sound like a good match.
Work-from-home job providing IT support for a shell firm laundering money for international drug cartels. That checks all the boxes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes berkeman