Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

You young whippersnappers have the lamest sense of humour

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I just don't get this RickRolling thing.

I mean, fads usually have some sort of punchline, but this doesn't seem to.

If this were an office running gag, it would be 'Ha ha I've moved your chair. You've been chair-moved!'

It's the kind of joke Family Guy's Chris Griffin would love.

You might as well redirect your target to a 404 page.

I'm serious. Am I missing something?

(And yes, I realize I have painted a big 'RickRoll Me!' target on my forehead.)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Beats me. They seem to be doing this everywhere, and some of the links are rather malicious and take over browsers (if any do that here, report them...videos are one thing, browser hijacks are another...call me humorless if I start deleting them, I don't care.)

I could appreciate it if it was done on April Fool's day...we all enjoy a good prank that day, but this just goes on and on. I guess we just have to admit we're getting old Dave, that whole "Ooh, that was funny, do it again....ooh, that was funny, do it again...ooh, that was funny, do it again..." repetition just seems juvenile rather than funny to us old fogeys.

(Hint: You can just hover the mouse over any links and look at the address displayed on the bottom of the browser window to see if it matches what the link claims to be...if it doesn't, don't click.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

Dave, you are SO setting yourself up to get Rick Rolled for the REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    The Funny comes from the timing, not the content. Always.

You get in a heated debate on some issue like abortion, politics, religion, whatever. And then you post that link.

It's like playing tug-of-war. The other person is so intent on winning that when you make a funny they look stupid.

6. Apr 22, 2008 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I did a little further research, and found the answer to my question in a Fox news article by way of Digg:

"It's gone from silly Internet prank to entering the mainstream, so a lot of people are being elitist about it, saying it's beating a dead horse, and it has kind of lost its appeal," moot said. "At the end of the day, it's just a link where you get a guy singing an '80s pop song. There's only so far you can delve into the intricacies."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352010,00.html

I seem to have caught it right at this last point, when its run its course.

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Chair-moved!

LOL!

8. Apr 22, 2008 #7
    Don't you EVER listen to Fox News regarding matters of the internet, got it?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY

9. Apr 23, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like something they would do on Office Space.

10. Apr 23, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Luckily, I've never heard of Rick Rolling, and I have no intention of investigating it. I will, however, amend your quote: Don't you EVER listen to Fox News regarding anything, got it?

11. Apr 23, 2008 #10
    It's mildly amusing but it got old fast and now most people just think it's lame, like any other internet sensation it will soon hopefully be deader than chocolate rain.

12. Apr 23, 2008 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yes. No. Of course not. But I doubt even they could screw this one up.

13. Apr 23, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Never underestimate the power of an idiot.

14. Apr 23, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Danger, I wasn't aware you get FAUX news - whoops, I mean FOX news - in Canada. My sincere appologies.

15. Apr 23, 2008 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's how we learn about America - you get "Yvon of the Yukon" in return.

16. Apr 23, 2008 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I too am in Canada. Though Danger might not consider it so, being that the sun rises and sets here - even in the winter.

17. Apr 23, 2008 #16

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Repetition can be humourous if done correctly.

18. Apr 23, 2008 #17
    Thats what she said.

19. Apr 23, 2008 #18
    What's humour?

20. Apr 23, 2008 #19
    "Hackers on Steroids"

21. Apr 23, 2008 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?