Your favorite outrageous statistic

Pengwuino
Gold Member
You can march by me and my penguins! We hate the idea of global warming

This is almost a statistical statement;

A hundread billion flies eat dung. How can 100 B flies ALL be wrong?

mine is Russ's Waters statistics how most muslims support terrorism.

From Australian newspaper 'The Age'
Jesus story 'gets it 97% right'
By Barney Zwartz
Religion Editor
July 19, 2005

It is 97 per cent certain that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead - based on sheer logic and mathematics, not faith - according to Oxford professor Richard Swinburne.

"New Testament scholars say the only evidence is witnesses in the four gospels. That's only 5 per cent of the evidence," Professor Swinburne, one of the world's leading philosophers of religion, said last night.

"We can't judge the question of the resurrection unless we ask first whether there's reason to suppose there is a God, second if we have reason to suppose he would become incarnate and third, if he did, whether he would live the sort of life Jesus did."

Professor Swinburne, in Melbourne to give several seminars and a public lecture at the Australian Catholic University last night, said the mathematics showed a probability of 97 per cent.

This conclusion was reached after a complex series of calculations. In simplified terms, it began with a single proposition: the probability was one in two that God exists.

Next, if God exists, the probability was one in two that he became incarnate. Further, there was a one in 10 probability that the gospels would report the life and resurrection of Jesus in the form they do.

Finally, the clincher: the probability that we would have all this evidence if it wasn't true was one in 1000.

He argued that any evidence for the existence of God was an argument for the resurrection, and any evidence against the existence of God was an argument against the resurrection.

"Does he have reason to become incarnate? Yes, to make atonement, identify with our suffering and to teach us things, " Professor Swinburne said.

Even Jesus' life is not enough proof, he said. God's signature was needed, which the resurrection was, showing his approval of Jesus' teaching.

The mathematical equations appear in the professor's book, The Resurrection of God Incarnate (OUP, 2003).
Click here if you want to see the #1 cause of death in the U.S.
deathinus.jpg

matthyaouw
Gold Member
A phrase I've heard thrown about a bit is "You are more likely to die getting out of the bath than taking ecstacy."

I've never seen it backed up with figures, so if it has any factual basis at all, I seriously doubt that it takes into accont the amount of baths taken V the amount of ecstacy pills taken, and how many of the people who die in bath related incidents are old/infirm.

Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Have you guys seen those "What's really stupid?" cigarette commercials?

I don't like them. They use faulty statistics. "Well if I stand here in this field with a big metal pole, I won't die because it's statisticly rare for people to die by lightning strike!"

Well DUH! That's because people don't stand in the middle of a field with a big metal pole!

Alkatran said:

I don't like them. They use faulty statistics. "Well if I stand here in this field with a big metal pole, I won't die because it's statisticly rare for people to die by lightning strike!"

Well DUH! That's because people don't stand in the middle of a field with a big metal pole!
I absolutely hate those commercials as well. One of them went something like:
"you are more likely to die from smoking cigarettes than you are of being electrocuted in the bathtub by an electrical appliance" and they show a guy with in a bathtub with a toaster on the side.

I do not know how they can misrepresent statistics like that and take themselves seriously.

If someone takes a bath with a toaster sitting precariously close to the edge every day, their life expectancy is going to be much lower than someone who smokes everyday

Ivan Seeking said:
I just bought my first electric toothbrush. While checking into this I found that one brand is most preferred by dentists, and the other is the most preferred by dental professionals.
Or those commercials that say "4 out of 5 dentists recommend x product."

They were probably talking about a specific group of 4 out of 5 dentists and not the overall majority of dentists out there.

"Well yeah, we interviewed 5 dentists. 4 of them recommended our product."

(and even then, perhaps they were influenced by that bag of money that the company was handing to them :rolleyes:)

Alkatran said:

Yeah.. That's they're point isn't it? But if they weren't doing that it wouldn't be 'stupid', so they couldn't use the 'you think this is stupid' line.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
4 out of 5 smurfs are gay.

Outrageous, when has anyone seen a straight smurf.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Atomos said:
I absolutely hate those commercials as well. One of them went something like:
"you are more likely to die from smoking cigarettes than you are of being electrocuted in the bathtub by an electrical appliance" and they show a guy with in a bathtub with a toaster on the side.
Wait, what point are they tryen to make? It can't be an pro-tobacco line because they say you're "more likely to die from smoking..." but I don't see how it can be anti-tobacco because its such a bad comparison. If they wanted to be anti-tobacco, they should have been like "You're more likely to die from smoking then you are from a car accident" or something else where a lot of people die. I'm confused.

Pengwuino said:
4 out of 5 smurfs are gay.

Outrageous, when has anyone seen a straight smurf.
:rolleyes: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1284769.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Oh god, a gay rights group has sticken up for a penguin pair? My god... our species must be exterminated.

Pengwuino said:
Oh god, a gay rights group has sticken up for a penguin pair? My god... our species must be exterminated.
:rolleyes: http://www.gaypenguinforamerica.com/ [Broken]

:rolleyes: Link3
The males have been observed trying to mate with each other and trying to hatch offspring out of stones.
:rolleyes: http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/2004/03/gay_penguin_lov.html [Broken]
But the partnership of Wendell and Cass adds drama in another way. They're both male. That is to say, they're gay penguins.
(okay, I'll stop hijacking now)

Pengwuino
Gold Member
He lost the election, he shoudl take his site down.

russ_watters
Mentor
Smurf said:
:rolleyes: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1284769.html [Broken]
OMG, that's hilarious. I have a friend who takes care of penguins at the Camden Aquarium - he'll love it.

Evo
Mentor
Alkatran said:

I haven't seen those but I think they were probably saying that someone smoking and thinking that the statistics don't apply to them is as stupid as someone standing in a field holding a big metal pole saying they won't die because it's statistically rare for people to die by lightning strike. But if the message wasn't clear enough for people to get it, perhaps it was poorly done.

Garth
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Most outrageous statistic?
"The average person has more than the average number of legs." because its 'true'!
Garth

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Garth said:
Most outrageous statistic?
"The average person has more than the average number of legs." because its 'true'!
Garth
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

....never thought about it that way. That's hilarious!!!

EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"Weekend weather forecast indicates a 50% chance of rain on Saturday and another 50% chance of rain on Sunday, bringing the odds for a weekend rain to an undeniable 100%."

Didn't Yogi Berra produce (or was attributed) a wealth of funny one-liners like "I am watching TV 80% of the time and I am asleep during the other half"? (I probably made this one up myself.)

Pengwuino
Gold Member
EnumaElish said:
"Weekend weather forecast indicates a 50% chance of rain on Saturday and another 50% chance of rain on Sunday, bringing the odds for a weekend rain to an undeniable 100%."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: