Your favorite outrageous statistic

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistic
In summary: Arpian's' view that a set of 6 (or is it 8?) quasars 'near' (on the sky) an NGC spiral is, in fact, a highly statistically significant demonstration of "pi writ large on the cosmos".I particularly like the latter - it took me only ~1 hour, yet the numbers were truly astonishing.
Atomos said:
I absolutely hate those commercials as well. One of them went something like:
"you are more likely to die from smoking cigarettes than you are of being electrocuted in the bathtub by an electrical appliance" and they show a guy with in a bathtub with a toaster on the side.

Wait, what point are they tryen to make? It can't be an pro-tobacco line because they say you're "more likely to die from smoking..." but I don't see how it can be anti-tobacco because its such a bad comparison. If they wanted to be anti-tobacco, they should have been like "You're more likely to die from smoking then you are from a car accident" or something else where a lot of people die. I'm confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
4 out of 5 smurfs are gay.

Outrageous, when has anyone seen a straight smurf.
:rolleyes: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1284769.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god, a gay rights group has sticken up for a penguin pair? My god... our species must be exterminated.

Pengwuino said:
Oh god, a gay rights group has sticken up for a penguin pair? My god... our species must be exterminated.
:rolleyes: http://www.gaypenguinforamerica.com/

:rolleyes: Link3
The males have been observed trying to mate with each other and trying to hatch offspring out of stones.
:rolleyes: http://www.michaelhanscom.com/eclecticism/2004/03/gay_penguin_lov.html
But the partnership of Wendell and Cass adds drama in another way. They're both male. That is to say, they're gay penguins.
(okay, I'll stop hijacking now)

He lost the election, he shoudl take his site down.

Smurf said:
:rolleyes: http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1284769.html
OMG, that's hilarious. I have a friend who takes care of penguins at the Camden Aquarium - he'll love it.

Alkatran said:
Have you guys seen those "What's really stupid?" cigarette commercials?

I don't like them. They use faulty statistics. "Well if I stand here in this field with a big metal pole, I won't die because it's statisticly rare for people to die by lightning strike!"

Well DUH! That's because people don't stand in the middle of a field with a big metal pole!
I haven't seen those but I think they were probably saying that someone smoking and thinking that the statistics don't apply to them is as stupid as someone standing in a field holding a big metal pole saying they won't die because it's statistically rare for people to die by lightning strike. But if the message wasn't clear enough for people to get it, perhaps it was poorly done.

Most outrageous statistic?
"The average person has more than the average number of legs." because its 'true'!
Garth

Garth said:
Most outrageous statistic?
"The average person has more than the average number of legs." because its 'true'!
Garth

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

...never thought about it that way. That's hilarious!

"Weekend weather forecast indicates a 50% chance of rain on Saturday and another 50% chance of rain on Sunday, bringing the odds for a weekend rain to an undeniable 100%."

Didn't Yogi Berra produce (or was attributed) a wealth of funny one-liners like "I am watching TV 80% of the time and I am asleep during the other half"? (I probably made this one up myself.)

EnumaElish said:
"Weekend weather forecast indicates a 50% chance of rain on Saturday and another 50% chance of rain on Sunday, bringing the odds for a weekend rain to an undeniable 100%."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: