Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Your most favorite Beethoven sonata?

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    If you have one?

edit: I meant to include a poll. Oops! In retrospect it would have been useless anyway.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2
    I'm relatively new to western classical. So at the moment I have to say "Emperor" since this is the only one I have heard, and that too only once. :biggrin: I may change my opinion in a few months!

EDIT: Here's proof for what I said in the first sentence...Emperor is a concerto. :blushing: :redface:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  4. Apr 26, 2006 #3
    I don't have any of his Sonata's, although I am 100% sure I have heard them all. So I can't say.

EDIT: Ahh, I only have one on my computer. It's a guitar. Its quite nice.

Dan na na na na dun na na nan a dunnn na na na na dunn an de dun. Eh, you know what I mean. (It's not his 5th symphony that I am humming, though you might think it sounds like it)

Now I am listening to the Egmont Overture.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  5. Apr 27, 2006 #4
    My favourite :

Piano Sonata No. 23 in F minor Op. 57, 'Appassionata'

About this work : when Beethoven presented it to his "boss" he was so angry because the guy gave some comments Beethoven did not like. He answered : There will be kings and princes for ever, but there will only be ONE Beethoven.

The "Emperor" is not a sonata , it is a pianoconcerto.

marlon

6. Apr 27, 2006 #5

Mk

Oh, yes, that one is my favorite as well. Of course, Piano Sonata No. 14 in C sharp minor, "Moonlight Sonata" is a pretty good too. :biggrin:

7. Apr 27, 2006 #6
    since i'm not sure what you mean by sonata.... :wink:
    cello/piano sonata op.69 in A major
    piano sonata #3 in C major
    violin sonata #1 in D major or #9 in A major (aka "Kreutzer")

8. Apr 27, 2006 #7

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Waldstein, posssibly because it reminds me of the 2nd movement of the
    7th Symphony, which I love. Is it just me or does anyone else see the similarity?

9. Apr 27, 2006 #8

EL

Science Advisor

"Moonlight" rules!

10. Apr 27, 2006 #9

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Number 30, Opus 109 in E Major, played by Alfred Brendel. I groove on all the late sonatas, late quartets too; they are a new and deeper Beethoven. And Brendel is my man! Nobody has ever captured this music better, and I've heard some masters play it (I well remember a snowy evening at UW Madison in the early 1960s, with Rudolph Serkin playing all three of tha last sonatats, numbers 29, 30 and 31).

11. Apr 27, 2006 #10
    My favourite sonata has to be the 'Hammerklavier' sonata (Or Piano Sonata No.29 in B flat Major "Hammerklavier"Op.106 for you people who are skeptical on such matter), for its sheer technical virtuosity and its testament to Beethoven's immense counterpoint skills.

If you want to hear that, and all other piano sonatas, here:

http://boyunglee.com/music/beethoven/ps/

Best player in my books is Jeno Jando - His piano playing is high quality, and isn't so eccentric (another reason why I absolutely HATE Glenn Gould)

12. Apr 27, 2006 #11
    When we say 'Beethoven' and 'sonata', it is usually implied that it is the piano sonatas.

13. Apr 27, 2006 #12
    I love that one! The Yo-Yo Ma recording with Ax is awesome - over-the-top, unrestrained romanticism, with liberal doses of humor. Whose do you listen to?

There is one more - number 32 op. 111! The best of the lot!

14. Apr 27, 2006 #13
    Unless you're a violinist or cellist. :devil:

15. Apr 27, 2006 #14
    No I MEAN that Beethoven is far, FAR more famous for his piano sonatas than any other sonatas for other instruments.

So it is irrevelant whether you are a violinist or a cellist.

16. Apr 27, 2006 #15
    Hmm, no. 29 op. 106 (Hammerklavier), or the E major no. 30 op. 109?

17. Apr 27, 2006 #16
    Even the Kreutzer?

18. Apr 27, 2006 #17
    I'd rather people reference the link I gave in my post for others to hear what the sonatas sound like. This is a open forum, and any knowledge from here should be audible to everyone else.

19. Apr 27, 2006 #18
    *sigh* Do you really think the average layman knows about the kreutzer sonata more than, say, the moonlight sonata?

20. Apr 27, 2006 #19
    Meh, Kreutzer's more awesome. I could care less about public opinion.

21. Apr 27, 2006 #20
    But the point is we aren't talking about YOUR opinion now, are we?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?