View Single Post
reasonmclucus
Dec12-06, 03:06 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by alias25 View Post
I need to write an essay by the end of this month and it can be on anything to do with environmental physics, which i don't know too much about.

any ideas would be appriciated, thanks.

ps, i don't really want to write about global warming because most people wil be doing that, i want something unique, e.g. el nino affect on whale migration? (not sure what the el nino is either, something to do with the varying temperature of the water in the pacific, but whats so special about the temperature variation in that particular region anyway?)

would comets/ meteor impacts on earth be under environmental physics? I could talk about that and its consequences, and chances, plus i could mention that new crater they found in antarctica which is very interesting.

El Nino/ La Nina among other things affects upper level air flow in the United States which can influence whether or not hurricanes develop. El Nino involves high sea surface temperatures and La Nina cooler temperatures. The past hurricane season for the U.S. was a bust because upper level winds prevented potential storms from getting organized. If you're interested in doing anything about hurricanes you might want to check
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/
The site also carries a good picture of sea surface temperatures and histories of hurricanes.

Hurricanes themselves might be an interesting topic for a physics related paper. Hurricanes are heat engines that if they get organized can "speed up" quickly because the water droplets in the hurricane lubricate the winds.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0726074054.htm

I'm not sure to what extent the physics of hurricanes has been studied. Looking at the physics involved might provide some useful insights.

You might want to check my thread on Earth's energy system and deal with the subject of how water's peculiar heat characteristics influence the atmosphere.

there's an interesting theory about the possibility that cosmic rays influence cloud development which in turn affects whether solar energy reaches the earth's surface (warmer temperatures) or is reflected back into space (cooler temperatures). The frequency of cosmic rays hitting earth varies as earth moves through the galaxy.