Extended Essay IB - Quantum Physics Oriented

In summary: I've been asked to pick a topic for my IB Extended Essay. Basically the extended essay is a piece of independent research done during the course of IB. It's meant to be 4000 words and you have to conduct some sort of experiment.I am passionate about physics and wanted to write my EE on this, more specifically quantum theory. However, quantum mechanics is a vast domain and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I am good at math so that won't be a problem. If possible I wanted to do something regarding quantum mechanics and electricity/ electrical components.Thank you for any help.If possible I wanted to do something regarding quantum mechanics and electricity/ electrical components.
Eliot_Abramo
Summary:: - IB Extended Essay
- Physics
- Quantum Mechanics and Electricity/ Electrical Components

I've been asked to pick a topic for my IB Extended Essay. Basically the extended essay is a piece of independent research done during the course of IB. It's meant to be 4000 words and you have to conduct some sort of experiment.

I am passionated by Physics and wanted to write my EE on this, more specifically Quantum Theory. However, Quantum Mechanics is a vast domain and was wondering if anyone had any ideas? I am good at math so that won't be a problem. If possible I wanted to do something regarding Quantum Mechanics and Electricity/ electrical components.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eliot_Abramo said:
If possible I wanted to do something regarding Quantum Mechanics and Electricity/ electrical components.

It's perhaps a bit heavy, but I've always thought the Josephson Effect is pretty cool.

Likes berkeman
Eliot_Abramo said:
I've been asked to pick a topic for my IB Extended Essay.

That's your assignment. Are you asking us to do your work for you?

Eliot_Abramo said:
Quantum Mechanics is a vast domain

Yes. What parts of it have you looked at already?

Vanadium 50 said:
That's your assignment. Are you asking us to do your work for you?
My assignment is to write a 4000 words essay, but in order to do that I need to first find a topic worth talking about, that is what I am asking for: Ideas. Sorry for any misunderstanding

PeterDonis said:
Yes. What parts of it have you looked at already?
I have mainly been looking at electromagnetism specifically Quantum Levitation. I was also wondering if maybe I could do something in regards to waves and electricity.

Some ideas I had in mind was to discuss the Meissner Effect in Superconductors when cooled down to a critical temperature with liquid nitrogen and investigate how it can be used for future applications, as a new way to transmit energy frictionless, not allowing the material to waste any of its energy into heat.

I am unsure if this idea is a feasible one, so I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
Thank you for any help.

Eliot_Abramo said:
I am unsure if this idea is a feasible one

If you mean feasible for doing an experiment (you say you have to run some sort of experiment), that would depend on what resources you have available--for example, the means to cool something down with liquid nitrogen, and the ability to obtain some appropriate superconducting material.

Eliot_Abramo said:
I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

There isn't anyone particular "right" direction. It depends on what interests you and what kind of experiment you can reasonably perform.

Since you say you are interested in electricity/electrical components, transistors, which are essential elements of all computer chips, depend on quantum effects to function (which particular quantum effects depends on the type of transistor). There should be various experiments that could be done to demonstrate one of those.

Another area in which it should be feasible to find an experiment you could conduct might be quantum optics.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Eliot_Abramo said:
Some ideas I had in mind was to discuss the Meissner Effect in Superconductors when cooled down to a critical temperature with liquid nitrogen and investigate how it can be used for future applications, as a new way to transmit energy frictionless, not allowing the material to waste any of its energy into heat.

I am unsure if this idea is a feasible one, so I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.
Thank you for any help.

You can't really use the Meissner effect to transmit energy. However, you can use it to store energy. Try searching for "superconducting flywheels".

See e.g.
https://www.furukawa.co.jp/en/release/2015/kenkai_150415.html

That said, the Meissner effect isn't very "quantum"; it can mostly be understood using classical electromagnetics (albeit with some weird boundary conditions due to the superconductor)

Personally, I would find another topic. The abovementioned Josephson Effect might be a good topic if you want to do something related to superconductivity. This effect is also what is used to create superconducting qubits so it is a "hot" topic.

Likes Vanadium 50

1. What is the purpose of an Extended Essay in IB?

The Extended Essay is a mandatory research project that is a core component of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. Its purpose is to allow students to engage in independent, in-depth research on a topic of their choice, developing essential skills such as critical thinking, time management, and communication.

2. What is quantum physics and how is it related to the Extended Essay?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It is related to the Extended Essay in IB because it is a complex and fascinating topic that allows students to explore the fundamental principles of the universe and develop a deeper understanding of the world around us.

3. What are some potential research topics for an Extended Essay in quantum physics?

Some potential research topics for an Extended Essay in quantum physics include the study of quantum mechanics, quantum entanglement, quantum computing, and the applications of quantum physics in various fields such as medicine, technology, and energy.

4. What are the key components of a successful Extended Essay in quantum physics?

A successful Extended Essay in quantum physics should have a clear research question, a well-defined methodology, and a strong theoretical framework. It should also include relevant and reliable data, critical analysis, and a logical conclusion that answers the research question.

5. How can I ensure that my Extended Essay in quantum physics meets the IB requirements?

To ensure that your Extended Essay in quantum physics meets the IB requirements, it is important to carefully read and follow the guidelines provided by the IB. You should also seek guidance from your supervisor, conduct thorough research, and use appropriate referencing and citation methods.