What topic does my Extended Essay idea go under?

In summary, the speaker is considering doing an IB Extended Essay on prosthetics or technology related to the human body. Their interest in this topic stems from a book series they are reading about a cyborg character. They are particularly fascinated by the idea of a brain-computer interface and its potential capabilities. However, they are unsure of which topic category it would fall under, and also have limited experience with programming and computer science. They are considering the topic of "information technology in a global society" but are unsure if it is the best fit. They are seeking clarification on the topic selection process.
Emily R.

Homework Statement

I'm currently trying to decide on a topic for my IB Extended Essay, which is essentially an essay that I'll be doing research for and working on for the next 8 months. Right now, I'm really fascinated by the idea of doing an extended essay on the topic of prosthetics or something related to technology and the human body. To give you some background, this interest is coming from a book series I'm reading where the main character is cyborg. She has a prosthetic hand and foot that have compartments where objects can be hidden. The cooler part is that her brain has a sort of computer attached, so she can look things up on the internet at any time, send messages to people from her brain, find blueprints of places and things, record sounds and videos of things actually happening to her or in front of her, and she can watch news videos all just inside her own head. The idea of that kind of technology is incredibly interesting to me. The problem is I'm not quite sure what topic it would go under. I'm thinking maybe "information technology in a global society" but I'm not sure if it fits under that topic. Another issue is that I have very little experience with any kind of programming or computer science. I don't know if that's relevant or not.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the "information technology in a global society" topic might fit my idea but I'm not sure if it does.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that might work, but you could check to see if there's one that your topic would fit under better. Did you get to pick what your topic went under or were there options and you had to chose which one fit best?

1. What is the purpose of an Extended Essay?

The Extended Essay is an independent research project that is a mandatory component of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. It allows students to investigate a topic of their interest in depth and develop critical thinking, research, and writing skills.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Extended Essay?

The topic for an Extended Essay should be chosen based on the student's interests and strengths, as well as the availability of resources and guidance. It should also align with one of the six subject areas of the IB curriculum: Language and Literature, Language Acquisition, Individuals and Societies, Sciences, Mathematics, or The Arts.

3. What are the criteria for determining the subject area of my Extended Essay?

The subject area of an Extended Essay is determined by the main focus and research question of the essay. It should be a clear and specific topic that falls under one of the six subject areas of the IB curriculum.

4. Can my Extended Essay topic fit under multiple subject areas?

No, an Extended Essay topic can only fit under one subject area. However, it is possible for the essay to have interdisciplinary aspects that incorporate multiple subject areas.

5. Is it possible to change the subject area of my Extended Essay after it has been approved?

Yes, it is possible to change the subject area of an Extended Essay after it has been approved by the IB coordinator. However, it is important to consult with the supervisor and ensure that the new topic still meets the requirements and criteria of the original subject area.