View Single Post
JeffEvarts
Mar17-10, 05:12 PM
P: 34
Background: I have a BS in CompSci, not Physics, so if this question stuns you in its naivete, please forgive me. In the last couple weeks, I have been reading up on PN junctions and how they work. I've also seen the standard Si/Ge (Group IV) + Tri/Penta-valent (Group III/V) doping examples.

Despite their efforts to escape I think I have those basics trapped within my brain.

Wikipedia has a nice "list of semiconducting materials" list, and I was perusing that, and some oddities stuck out: mostly about how the overall size/atomic-weight/periodic-row affect how semiconductors are fashioned and doped. My questions stem from there.

Tin and Lead for instance, are in the same column as Silicon, but I don't ever hear about them being used as semiconductors by themselves. Tin and Lead are metallic/oid, of course, while carbon and silicon are not, but Germanium, which is also frequently used as a semiconductor, seems to be a metal as well, or at least as "metallic" as Tin and Lead.

Observation 1: The Group "III-IV-V" examples in the all textbooks don't seem to hold as the period increases.

Q1: Why?

Observation 2: Larger/heavier elements from group IV are sometimes paired with Sulfur or Selenium from Group VI to turn them into semiconducting strata, but not with Oxygen (also from Group VI)

Q2: Why?
Q3: Do they "dope" these semiconductors with the same group III/V elements to make them P and N? (I seem to find that the answer is YES, but I'm asking anyway)

Observation 3: Even stranger (3-and-4-element) combinations, (CuInGaSe) are also used.

Q4: What's the underpinning logic/science of choosing these compounds?

Metaquestion: All the textbooks seem to make these bright-shiny-clean generalizations about 4 valence electrons in their explanations, but that seems to fall well short of the actual physics, possibly TOO far to warrant such inaccurate explanations. Is there a slightly less general description of semiconductor structure which might prepare the dilettante such as myself for the realities of semiconductors?

I thank you for your patience,
-Jeff Evarts
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)