View Single Post
qspeechc
Aug15-10, 03:38 PM
P: 792
Hmm, well the dicussion has certainly become too difficult for me to understand.

SW VandeCarr, in my university's library there is a copy of that book you suggested in that link, the one by Quirk et. al., but it is classified as a reference, so like a volume of a journal or the OED you cannot take it out the library, unfortunately. At any rate, it is a very large book! Maybe a bit too large for my needs, I am a beginner after all.
Oh and I don't know any German or French; are these languages syntactical like English? Is English even a syntactical language? An English-speaking person will say "I only have one more thing to do" and "I have only one more thing to do" and mean the same thing both times. If English is truely a syntactical language wouldn't the two sentences mean different things? Or perhaps English grammar does say there is a difference and I am just ignorant of this.

Thank you for recommending S. H. Burton's books Studiot. We never learnt much grammar when I was in school, only very basic things like what is a noun, verb, adjective etc., but nothing beyond that. It will still take several months for the order to arrive.

Well all this is getting to be a lot of trouble, so I just went down to the library to look at their grammar books. After eliminating those too advanced and those too large (like I said, I am just a beginner really) I was left with about five books to choose from. I settled on Manual of English Grammar and Composition by Nesfield and Wood. As the title suggests, it is not just a grammar. It has sections on composition, poetry and prose, the history of the language, and so on, which I like because I would like to learn more about the language, anything about my language. I've read up to page fifteen. It starts with an outline of parsing; more detailed parsing analysis follows later. It does however assume some familiarity with grammar so it's not entirely elementary. And that seems to be the problem with many of the grammars I saw. They assume some knowledge of grammar, because they assume you were taught that stuff in school. They don't teach grammar any more, at least not when I was in school. But I am still able to follow it, mostly. So I think those school-level books you recommended Studiot will be very helpful for me.