Where can I find easy-to-understand books about relativity?

In summary: For special relativity I would recommend Moore's "Traveler's guide through spacetime", for GR I would recommend Carroll or d'Inverno. :)In summary, Wald's book is a nice reference if you already know the subject, but for learning the subject I've never understood why people like it.
codeman_nz
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend some good books about relativity. I read Relativity Demystified by David McMahon and Paul M. Alsing which excellent as it explained the mathematics with simple examples. So I am after something similar.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Orzel, How to Teach Relativity to Your Dog

Steane, The Wonderful World of Relativity

French, Special Relativity

Schutz, Gravity from the Ground Up

Orzel's and Steane's books seem to be at the same level as "Relativity Demystified". French's book is an old undergraduate textbook that is simple and clear. Schutz's book is about general relativity, and is nominally on the same level as Orzel's and Steane's books, but because it is longer, one would probably need to be much more patient to finish it.

A free online book with a nice section about special relativity is Crowell's Simple Nature.

Takeuchi also has a nice free online Special Relativity.

Last edited:
The best books about general relativity in my advice are:
R.Wald, General Relativity
Misner, Thorne, Wheeler, GRAVITATION
The first one is a classic, the second is called "phone book" because of its volume, but is very complete. The only flaw is that the books are a bit dated, so they aren't up to date about cosmology.

I like Weinberg's books. For GR he has written one with the title "Gravitation and Cosmology" in the 1970ies. Concerning the cosmology part it's outdated, but GR (and also SR!) is nicely explained in great detail, including the necessary mathematics. For cosmology he has written a new book "Cosmology" in 2008 which is also very clearly written.

codeman_nz said:
Can anyone recommend some good books about relativity. I read Relativity Demystified by David McMahon and Paul M. Alsing which excellent as it explained the mathematics with simple examples. So I am after something similar.

It might be helpful if you could explain more about what you want in a second book that you didn't get in that book.

Also, are you interested in special relativity only, or general relativity as well?

In addition to those that people have already mentioned, some other nonmathematical books worth considering are:

Gardner, Relativity Simply Explained
Mermin, It's About Time
Geroch, Relativity from A to B
Will, Was Einstein Right?

I'll throw in one of my favorites for an introductory book: A Journey into Gravity and Spacetime by John Archibald Wheeler. This book gives a unique presentation with wonderful insight by a great mind. (Plus, very cheap used copies can be found online!)

Last edited:
D'Inverno.

alialice said:
The best books about general relativity in my advice are:
R.Wald, General Relativity
That's a nice reference if you already know the subject, but for learning the subject I've never understood why people like it.

For special relativity I would recommend Moore's "Traveler's guide through spacetime", for GR I would recommend Carroll or d'Inverno. :)

haushofer said:
For special relativity I would recommend Moore's "Traveler's guide through spacetime"

I think that should be "to," not "through." AFAICT it's out of print, but it seems that you can pick up used copies on bookfinder.com fairly cheaply. What do you like about it? Any reason to prefer it over Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics?

Some reading and a dictionary on relativity here:

http://www.einstein-online.info/

Also, RELATIVTY, by Einstein is a book for the general public from 'hisself'...

and I have seen copies available for online reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
About Wald's book:
haushofer said:
That's a nice reference if you already know the subject, but for learning the subject I've never understood why people like it.

I like Wald's book, but I started studying GR with the help of professor who was very clear in his explanation. He started the course with some differential geometry and than went on. So with the help of my notes, and the Lecture notes on GR by Carrol, that I forgot to mention before, I was able to appreciate Wald. :)

What is relativity and why is it important to study?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It is important to study because it has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe and has led to advancements in technology, such as GPS systems.

What are some good books about relativity for beginners?

Some good books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity on space and time.

Are there any interesting real-life applications of relativity?

Yes, relativity has practical applications in various fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and even in everyday technologies like GPS systems.

Are there any common misconceptions about relativity?

One common misconception is that relativity only applies to objects moving at high speeds. In reality, relativity is applicable to all objects, regardless of their velocity.