Where can I find an out of print scientific book?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of finding a specific book, 'Crystallization of Biological Macromolecules' by A McPherson, and the high prices it is being sold for. The person has tried searching various university libraries and online retailers, but to no avail. They have also reached out to the author and the publisher with no success. The suggestions given were to try emailing the publisher or finding teachers who may have a copy, as well as utilizing interlibrary loan and photocopying options.
philip041
I appreciate this isn't a physics question but I thought maybe someone would have experience in acquiring dusty old books that seem impossible to track down..

I am looking for 'Crystallization of Biological Macromolecules' by A McPherson, I have searched Bristol, Exeter, Bath & Cambridge Universitys libraries for it... no luck the only library that has anything close is Cambridge.

I have found several copies on Amazon.com/.de/.fr/.co.uk but all selling between $1000 and $3000!

I have even wrote to the author but he said he couldn't help me, and that I am not the only one who has asked..

Does anyone know where I can take my search?

Cheers,

Philip

Physics news on Phys.org
I have had pretty good luck with alibris.com. But wow, they want 1,545 $US for this title. I don't know exactly how the prices come about, but it's ultimately based on what someone else was willing to pay. And once a book is out of print, it is like waterfront real estate, "they're not making anymore..."

philip041 said:
I appreciate this isn't a physics question but I thought maybe someone would have experience in acquiring dusty old books that seem impossible to track down..

I am looking for 'Crystallization of Biological Macromolecules' by A McPherson, I have searched Bristol, Exeter, Bath & Cambridge Universitys libraries for it... no luck the only library that has anything close is Cambridge.

I have found several copies on Amazon.com/.de/.fr/.co.uk but all selling between $1000 and $3000!

I have even wrote to the author but he said he couldn't help me, and that I am not the only one who has asked..

Does anyone know where I can take my search?

Cheers,

Philip
Did you try emailing the publisher/editor? They are the ones holding the rights to the book.

Otherwise try finding teachers who have it (or anybody). Borrow it from them.

One year, one of my teacher was using a Special Relativity book who wasn't sold anymore, but he had a copy of the book with him. He asked the publisher if he could make photocopies of the book, as they are the ones holding the right, and they agreed if he payed the rights, which was about 10$ per photocopies.

Here's the British Library's entry for the book http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/PNDU2BQ6UFEC5SJE99E3C5XUDHABTF8FTHRBQBC7BEX47LU54N-16702?func=find-acc&acc_sequence=062902034

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/39261976/editions?editionsView=true&referer=br

interlibrary loan?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me about it- I have been trying to locate some choice microscopy books (Pluta's Advanced Light microscopy, v. 1 and 3), but they are likewise overinflated.

I second interlibrary loan, and Xeroxing.

1. Where can I find an out of print scientific book?

Out of print scientific books can be found in several places, such as online marketplaces like Amazon or eBay, used bookstores, and libraries. You can also try searching for the book on websites that specialize in rare or out of print books, or reaching out to the publisher directly.

2. How can I tell if a book is out of print?

One way to tell if a book is out of print is by checking the publisher's website. If the book is no longer listed for sale or is marked as "out of stock," it is likely out of print. You can also search for the book on online retailers and if it is not available or listed as out of stock, it is likely out of print.

3. Can I get a digital version of an out of print scientific book?

It is possible to find digital versions of out of print scientific books on websites that specialize in digitizing and selling rare or out of print books. However, not all out of print books have digital versions available. You can also try reaching out to the publisher to inquire about a digital version.

4. How much should I expect to pay for an out of print scientific book?

The price of an out of print scientific book can vary greatly depending on its rarity and demand. Some books may be relatively inexpensive, while others can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. It is important to research and compare prices from different sources before making a purchase.

5. Are there any other options for obtaining an out of print scientific book?

If you are unable to find an out of print scientific book for purchase, you can also try borrowing it from a library through interlibrary loan. This service allows libraries to borrow books from other libraries for their patrons. You can also try posting on online forums or social media groups related to your field of study to see if anyone is willing to sell or lend a copy of the book.