View Single Post
Living_Dog
Nov17-10, 09:11 AM
P: 102
I have been struggling with this for a long time. I gave up to review GR and came back to Ryder. I started in Chapter 2 and the material was easier and more intuitive on this second pass. But the same topic, "SU(2) and the rotation group" has trapped me yet again. I am bogged down specifically on pages 34 - 36. So here are my questions:

1) From pg. 35: Under SU(2) [tex]\xi[/tex] does not transform like [tex]\xi^{+}[/tex], but [tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{c} \xi_1 \\ \xi_2 \end{array} \right)\][/tex] and [tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{c} -\xi^*_2 \\ \xi^*_1 \end{array} \right)\][/tex] do.
  1. where does he get that (is it magic)??
  2. I can choose another spinor and it also transforms "the same way"
  3. ...what does he mean by "the same way"???

I tried all four possibilities: [tex]\xi' \equiv U\xi, \xi^{+}' \equiv \xi^{+}U^{+}, ...[/tex] and the other two with the second spinor. None of them look the same, and they all transform "the same way"!

2) From pg. 36:

[tex]\xi \xi^{+} \equiv \[ \left( \begin{array}{c} \xi_1 \\ \xi_2 \end{array} \right)\] \[ \left( \begin{array}{cc} -\xi_2 & \xi_1 \end{array} \right)\] \equiv -H[/tex].

• if [tex]\xi \equiv (\xi_1 \xi_2)[/tex] then [tex]\xi^{+}[/tex] is not what he uses here - he uses that mysterious other spinor that is NOT [tex]\xi^{+}[/tex]!!
  • what's the point of calling this thing 'H'??
  • why does he construct 'h' - as if from nowhere then he says 'h' is 'H'!
  • since 'h' is a 2x2 matrix, how can it act on r??

If one thing is clear from my post it is that I have no clue what Ryder is talking about on these two short pages.

Thanks in advance to anyone for anything anywhere at any time!!!

(PS: I can't get that column vector times a row vector to equal the 'H' matrix to display properly. Sorry.)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears