The Road to Reality - exercise on scalar product

cianfa72
TL;DR Summary
On the proof of chain rule applied to the definition of scalar product expression for the special case of gradient
Hi, I'm keep studying The Road to Reality book from R. Penrose.

In section 12.4 he asks to give a proof, by use of the chain rule, that the scalar product ##\alpha \cdot \xi=\alpha_1 \xi^1 + \alpha_2 \xi^2 + \dots \alpha_n \xi^n## is consistent with ##df \cdot \xi## in the particular case ##\alpha = df## for a scalar function ##f##.

My idea is to use the chain rule in a given chart around a point ##P## in the manifold ##M##. Pick a coordinate chart ##\phi: U \rightarrow \mathbb R^n## and a smooth curve ##\gamma (t)## in ##M##. Then in that chart the curve is ##\phi \circ \gamma (t)##. The class of equivalence of smooth curves with the same derivative $$\left. \frac {d(\phi \circ \gamma)} {dt} \right|_{\phi(P)}$$ at ##\phi(P)## defines the tangent vector ##\xi## in ##P##.

Now ##\xi(f)## is defined as the derivative of ##f## along one of the curves in the equivalence class. By definition in the given chart we get: $$\frac {d(f \circ {\phi}^{-1} \circ \phi \circ \gamma (t))} {dt}$$ By the chain rule $$\frac {\partial {(f \circ {\phi}^{-1})}} {\partial x^i} \cdot \left. \frac {d(\phi \circ \gamma(t))} {dt} \right|_{\phi(P)}$$The first term are the components ##(\alpha_1, \alpha_2 \dots \alpha_n)## of ##df## in the chart and the latter the components ##(\xi_1, \xi_2 \dots \xi_n)## of tangent vector ##\xi## in the chart. Hence the result holds.

Does it make sense ? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It makes sense.

$$\frac {\partial {(f \circ {\phi}^{-1})}} {\partial x^i} \cdot \left. \frac {d(\phi \circ \gamma(t))} {dt} \right|_{\phi(P)}$$

should be

$$\left.\frac {\partial {(f \circ {\phi}^{-1})}} {\partial x^i}\right|_{\phi(P)} \cdot \left. \frac {d(\phi \circ \gamma(t))} {dt} \right|_{t=0}$$

If you use the Weierstraß definition of a derivative instead, i.e. ##f(p+v)=f(p)+(J_p(f))\cdot v+o(v)=f(p)+(\nabla f)\cdot v+o(v),## then you get the linearity for free.

fresh_42 said:
$$\left.\frac {\partial {(f \circ {\phi}^{-1})}} {\partial x^i}\right|_{\phi(P)} \cdot \left. \frac {d(\phi \circ \gamma(t))} {dt} \right|_{t=0}$$
Yes, definitely.

We can use Weierstraß definition, however Penrose asks explicitly to show that result by use of chain rule.

Likes fresh_42

What is the scalar product in the context of "The Road to Reality"?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar. In the context of "The Road to Reality," it is used to discuss concepts in physics and mathematics, particularly in explaining vector spaces and their properties in the framework of quantum mechanics and relativity.

How is the scalar product used to determine the angle between two vectors?

In "The Road to Reality," the scalar product is used to calculate the angle between two vectors by the formula cos(θ) = (A · B) / (|A| |B|), where θ is the angle between vectors A and B, "·" denotes the scalar product, and |A| and |B| are the magnitudes of vectors A and B, respectively. This formula is fundamental in exploring the geometric interpretations of vector spaces.

Can the scalar product be used in both Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries?

Yes, the scalar product can be applied in both Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries, as discussed in "The Road to Reality." In non-Euclidean geometries, adjustments may be necessary to account for the curvature of space, but the core concept of the scalar product as a measure of vector alignment and length remains applicable.

What is the significance of the scalar product in quantum mechanics as described in the book?

In quantum mechanics, the scalar product is crucial for determining the probability amplitudes and for expressing the states of systems. "The Road to Reality" explains how the scalar product in the Hilbert space of quantum states provides a way to calculate probabilities and transition amplitudes, which are fundamental concepts in quantum theory.

How does Roger Penrose utilize the scalar product to explain complex mathematical concepts in "The Road to Reality"?

Roger Penrose uses the scalar product to bridge the understanding between abstract mathematical concepts and their physical interpretations. By explaining how the scalar product works in different contexts, such as in vector spaces, Hilbert spaces, and spacetime geometries, Penrose helps readers grasp more complex topics like tensor calculus and the geometry of quantum states.