View Single Post
hylander4
Jun8-11, 02:16 PM
P: 27
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An infinite cylindrical shell of radius b is placed inside a constant field B which points along the upwards z-axis. A second cylindrical shell of radius a<b is placed inside the first cylindrical shell, and the volume from b>r>a is filled with a paramagnetic material of permeability u. Find the magnetic field everywhere.

2. Relevant equations

H = B/(u_0) + M

H = -grad W

Laplacian W = -grad M

W is continuous over all boundaries.
The change in dW/dr over a boundary is equal to the negative change in Magnetization over the boundary.

Cylindrical laplace equation solution (From my undergraduate E+M notebook)

W(r, phi) = D_0 + A_0*(a+b*phi) +
$\EPSILON$ [r^n + (A_n*r^-n)]*[B_n*cos(n*phi)+C_n*sin(n*phi)]

Another version of this equation can be found here http://www.cord.edu/faculty/gealy/ph...SepVarsCyl.pdf on page two.

Summed from n = 1 to infinity

3. The attempt at a solution

Since there's no free current in this situation, I tried using magnetic scalar potential to solve this problem. Unfortunately, I end up with too many variable in the proposed Laplace equation solutions that I need to create to use the boundary conditions.

In my main attempt I had four boundary conditions and seven types of variables.

My main problem is that I need to find the H field to find the B-field, but in order to find the H-field, I also need a function for the paramagnetic material's Magnetization density M.

The forum wants me to post my attempts, but I've already filled three pages of notebook paper with failed algebra and I doubt that that would be constructive. I'm not really looking for an exact solution, I really just need general guidance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles