Find the magnetic field inside the cylinder

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field for r < R in a long cylinder with radius R and magnetic permeability μ, placed in a uniform magnetic field B0. The boundary conditions and Laplace equation are given, but there may be a missing factor. The problem can be solved using the demagnetizing factor or by using Legendre methods. The demagnetizing factor allows for the computation of a known uniform magnetic field HD inside the cylinder, analogous to the electrostatic problem. The alternative is to solve for Hint and M using two equations and two unknowns. The demagnetizing factor for this geometry is 1/2. The complete Legendre route is also an option, but can be tedious. It is also
CptXray

Homework Statement

There's a very long cylinder with radius ##R## and magnetic permeability ##\mu##. The cylinder is placed in uniform magnetic field ##B_{0}## pointed perpendicularly to the axis of cylinder. Find magnetic field for ##r < R##. Assume there's a vacuum outside the cylinder.

Homework Equations

Boundary conditions:
$$B_{2} \cdot \hat{n} = B_{1} \cdot \hat{n}$$
$$B_{2} \times \hat{n} =\frac{\mu_{2}}{\mu_{1}} B_{1} \times \hat{n},$$
where ##\hat{n}## is a unit radial vector.Laplace equation:
$$\Delta \phi_{M} = 0,$$
where ##\phi_{M}## is a scalar magnetic potential.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to solve it but I think something's missing here. I mean, in electrostatics I know that some potential ##\phi = 0## on a conducting electrically neutral surface. Should I assume here that there's some current density on the surface of the cylinder?

Physics news on Phys.org
For this geometry, there is a well-known demagnetizing factor ## D=\frac{1}{2} ##. It can be solved by Legendre methods that will get the same result, but the easiest way is to use the demagnetizing factor. (The demagnetizing factor allows for the computation of a known uniform "magnetic field" ## H_D ## inside the cylinder that results from the magnetic surface charge ## \sigma_m=M \cdot \hat{n} ##, analogous to the electrostatic problem with the same geometry). ## \\ ## To show you how the demagnetizing factor works, let's assume units where ## B=\mu_o H+M ##. Then ## H_{int}=H_o +H_D ##. ## \\ ## Next ## H_D=-\frac{D M}{\mu_o} ##, and ## M=\mu_o \chi_m H_{int} ## where ## \chi_m=\mu_r-1 ##, with ## B=\mu H=\mu_o \mu_r H ##. ## \\ ## You then solve for ## H_{int} ## and ## M ##. (Basically two equations and two unknowns). You then compute ## B_{int} ##. ## \\ ## Edit: Here is a thread where the demagnetizing factor 1/2 is essentially computed for this problem with a unique method by Griffiths. https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ormly-polarized-cylinder.941830/#post-5956930 ## \\ ## The alternative is to go the complete Legendre route, but it can be somewhat painstaking. ## \\ ## It might also be of interest that for a spherical geometry ## D=\frac{1}{3} ##, and for a flat disc ## D=1 ##.

Last edited:
Likes CptXray

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field inside a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field inside a cylinder is B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How does the magnetic field inside a cylinder differ from the magnetic field outside the cylinder?

The magnetic field inside a cylinder is uniform and parallel to the axis of the cylinder, while the magnetic field outside the cylinder is not uniform and varies with distance from the cylinder.

3. Can the magnetic field inside a cylinder be affected by the material of the cylinder?

Yes, the magnetic field inside a cylinder can be affected by the material of the cylinder. Materials with higher magnetic permeability will increase the strength of the magnetic field, while materials with lower magnetic permeability will decrease the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the current flowing through the cylinder affect the magnetic field inside?

The magnetic field inside a cylinder is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. As the current increases, the magnetic field inside the cylinder also increases.

5. Are there any practical applications for finding the magnetic field inside a cylinder?

Yes, there are several practical applications for finding the magnetic field inside a cylinder. This information is important in designing and understanding the behavior of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also useful in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).