Superconductor in an external magnetic field

In summary, the problem involves a superconducting spherical shell placed in a uniform magnetic field. The goal is to find the magnetic field outside the shell and the surface current density. Using the boundary condition at the surface, the magnetic field is calculated to be a combination of the external magnetic field and a term related to the rotation of the surface current. However, the surface current density cannot be directly calculated using this method and an alternative approach is needed.
Raihan amin

Homework Statement

A superconducting spherical shell of radius R is placed in a uniform magnetic field ##\vec{B_0}##
1)Find the magnetic field everywhere outside the shell
2)the sutface current density

Homework Equations

Inside the shell the net magnetic field is 0, and at the surface also.
The magnetic field of a magnetic diople of moment ##\vec{m}## is
$$\vec{B_m}=\frac{μ_0}{4\pi}[\frac{3(\vec{m}.\vec{r})\vec{r}}{r^5} - \frac{\vec{m}}{r^3}]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The boundary condition at the surface which is at an angle ##\theta## with the vertical is
$$\vec{B_{0,\hat{n}}}+\vec{B_{m,\hat{n}}}=0$$
So,$$B_0\cos{\theta}+\frac{μ_0}{4\pi}(\frac{2m\cos{\theta}}{R^3} )=0$$
Therefore at $$\vec{m}=-(\frac{2\pi}{μ_0})R^3 \vec{B_0} $$,the boundary condition are satisfied on the surface of the shell.Hence,$$\vec{B}=\vec{B_0}-\frac{(3R^3)(\vec{B_0}.\vec{r})\vec{r}}{2r^5} + \vec{B_0}(\frac{R^3}{2r^3})$$
But i can't find the surface current density in this way. In my textbook,the author has written that we can find that using tangential B's continuity though i didn't get that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You calculated m as function of B and then plugged in m as function of B again (and I'm a bit surprised the terms don't cancel). You need m as function of the rotation of the surface current.

mfb said:
You calculated m as function of B and then plugged in m as function of B again (and I'm a bit surprised the terms don't cancel). You need m as function of the rotation of the surface current.
I know that way,but it is also a valid process i think.
You can see page 305 of "A Guide to Physics Problems" by Cahn and Nadgorny

Here it is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190311-213034.png
    Screenshot_20190311-213034.png
    48 KB · Views: 993

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that has zero electrical resistance and can conduct electricity without any loss of energy. This phenomenon occurs at very low temperatures, typically below -200 degrees Celsius.

2. How does a superconductor behave in an external magnetic field?

In an external magnetic field, a superconductor exhibits the Meissner effect, which causes it to expel the magnetic field from its interior. This results in zero magnetic flux inside the superconductor, making it a perfect diamagnet.

3. What is the critical magnetic field of a superconductor?

The critical magnetic field is the maximum magnetic field that a superconductor can withstand before it loses its superconducting properties. This value varies depending on the type of superconductor and its temperature.

4. Can a superconductor levitate in a magnetic field?

Yes, a superconductor can levitate in a magnetic field due to the Meissner effect. This is known as the "quantum locking" effect, where the superconductor is trapped in a fixed position above the magnetic field.

5. What are the practical applications of superconductors in external magnetic fields?

Superconductors in external magnetic fields have various practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation trains, high-speed MRI machines, and particle accelerators. They also have potential uses in energy-efficient power transmission and storage systems.