Meaning of coefficients in polynomial potential for scalar field

PhysicsRock
Homework Statement
For a potential ##V(\phi) = \sum_{k=0}^N c_k \phi^k##, we set ##c_k = 0## for all ##k \neq 2##. What is the physical meaning of ##c_2##?
Relevant Equations
Equation of motion ##\partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi = 2c_2 \phi##.
For the solution of the equation of motion, we take a plane wave ##\phi(x) = e^{ik_\mu x^\mu}##. Plugged in, we obtain

$$
-(k_0)^2 + (\vec{k})^2 = 2c_2 \Rightarrow k_\mu k^\mu = 2c_2
$$

One can then find the group velocity (using ##(k_0)^2 = \omega^2##) to be

$$
\vec{v}_g = \frac{\vec{k}}{\sqrt{ \vec{k}^2 - 2c_2 }}
$$

which does not break causality only if ##c_2 \leq 0##. This leads to the assumption, at least from my perspective, that ##c_2## must be related to the mass / be the mass of the field, since if ##m = 0##, the field would propagate at the speed of light. However, using ##2c_2 = k_\mu k^\mu##, we can see that ##c_2## must have the same unit as ##k_\mu k^\mu##, i.e. m##^{-2}## in S.I. units.

Did I make a mistake along the way or am I misinterpreting the meaning of ##c_2 \leq 0##? Help is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I've figured it out. We can set ##c = \hbar = 1##. Then ##p^\mu = k^\mu##, which implies ##k_\mu k^\mu = p_\mu p^\mu = p^2 = -m^2##. Thus, we get ##2c_2 = -m^2 \Leftrightarrow c_2 = -\frac{m^2}{2}##.

What do the coefficients in a polynomial potential for a scalar field represent?

The coefficients in a polynomial potential for a scalar field represent the strength of the interaction between the scalar field and the potential. Higher coefficients indicate stronger interactions, while lower coefficients indicate weaker interactions.

How do the coefficients affect the shape of the potential energy curve?

The coefficients in a polynomial potential for a scalar field determine the shape of the potential energy curve. Different coefficients will result in different shapes, such as minima, maxima, or saddle points, which affect the dynamics of the scalar field.

Do the coefficients have any physical significance?

Yes, the coefficients in a polynomial potential for a scalar field have physical significance. They determine the stability of the scalar field, the presence of symmetry breaking, and the behavior of the field in different energy scales.

Can the coefficients be negative or complex?

Yes, the coefficients in a polynomial potential for a scalar field can be negative or complex. Negative coefficients can lead to instabilities or negative energy states, while complex coefficients can introduce oscillatory behavior in the field.

How do researchers determine the values of the coefficients in a polynomial potential?

Researchers determine the values of the coefficients in a polynomial potential for a scalar field through theoretical calculations, numerical simulations, and experimental observations. They adjust the coefficients to match the predicted behavior of the scalar field and compare it to observational data.