View Single Post
PeterDonis
Oct31-11, 11:15 AM
Physics
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,510
Quote Quote by JDoolin View Post
(2) I want to make an analogy. Let's say I take a cone, lay it out flat, and draw a straight line on it, and then wrap it back up in the cone shape again. We live in a cartesian coordinate system. Has that Cartesian Coordinate system failed us because that line that we have defined as straight is now curved? No. The cartesian coordinate system is alive and well, but it has a cone in it, and it has curved lines in it.

I'm not trying to criticize the application of geometry to take a cone and wrap it, and say, YES, you can draw "straight" lines on a curved object. I have no problem with that. But when you go on to say that the overlying cartesian geometry has somehow been invalidated because you can shape a paper into a cone, that's where I have a disagreement.
The cone's surface (barring the singularity at the apex) is still "flat" in the sense that it has zero intrinsic curvature. It has nonzero *extrinsic* curvature--the way in which it is embedded in the surrounding 3-D space is curved--but that's not what we're talking about in this discussion. If you calculated the connection coefficients in the formulas that pervect was writing, working with the Cartesian coordinates you assigned to the cone when it was laid out flat and you drew a straight line on it, they were zero when the cone was laid out flat and they are still zero when the cone is wrapped back up into a cone. So the cone is still flat in the intrinsic sense. (Technically, you could construct coordinates on the cone where the connection coefficients were nonzero, but the point is that you don't *have* to--there will always be *some* coordinate chart where they are all zero, whether the cone is laid out flat or wrapped up. The same is *not* true for a sphere--see below.)

Now try the same thought experiment with a sphere. You can't do it. There is no way to "lay a sphere out flat" and draw straight lines on the flat version, and then wrap it all back up into a sphere again. It's impossible--any such operation will distort the surface and invalidate its geometric invariants. That's one way of expressing the fact that a sphere has nonzero *intrinsic* curvature. The connection coefficients in pervect's formulas are nonzero on a sphere (i.e., there is *no* coordinate chart on the sphere that makes them all zero). And that's the kind of curvature we're talking about when we say that gravity is curvature of spacetime.

Quote Quote by JDoolin View Post
(3) I'm not saying that straight lines are always easy to detect. Of course if I look at the moon on the horizon, it looks distorted, because the light has NOT moved in a straight line (mostly because of atmospheric rather than gravitational effects). But the fact that the light doesn't move in a straight line does NOT mean that straight lines don't exist. But on the whole, how often does that happen? The great majority of things in the universe are not significantly affected by this sort of phenomenon. You point at them, and that's the direction they (not are) WERE, when the light left them. You can't see where the object IS, but you can see where the object WAS when the light left it.
No, you are not even seeing that. Light is bent by gravity. This has been measured for light passing close by the Sun: take two stars that are a little further apart in the sky than the apparent diameter of the Sun, when the Sun is in a different part of the sky--say the are separated by an angle a. When the Sun is in between them in the sky, they are separated by a *larger* angle, a + da, because the Sun bends their light towards itself. And what's true for the Sun is true for any large gravitating body.

The spacetime we are living in has intrinsic curvature because of gravity; it is a spacetime analogue of something like a sphere (actually more like a saddle, but the same argument I gave for a sphere would apply to a saddle too). It is *not* the spacetime analogue of something like a cone or a cylinder that can be laid out flat and wrapped up again without changing its intrinsic geometry. And in the presence of intrinsic curvature, all your intuitions about how things work in flat Euclidean space, or flat Minkowskian spacetime, are simply wrong on any large scale; they only approximately work over very small patches. You can only treat the Earth's surface as flat over a small area, and you can only treat spacetime as flat over a small region.