Show Spherical Symmetry of Schwarzschild Metric

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the spherically symmetric nature of the Schwarzschild metric and the use of the Lie derivative to show this for one of the vector fields in the algebra. The Lie derivative is given in components and it is shown that all components except for the (33) component are zero. After further analysis, it is determined that the formula for the Lie derivative is incorrect and should have pluses instead of minuses. The connection to the rotational symmetry of the metric is also pointed out.
mjordan2nd
In one of the lectures I was watching it was stated without proof that the Schwarzschild metric is spherically symmetric. I thought it would be a good exercise in getting acquainted with the machinery of GR to show this for at least one of the vector fields in the algebra. The Schwarzschild metric is given as follows

[tex]g_{00} = 1-\frac{2gm}{r}[/tex]
[tex]g_{11} = - \left( 1 - \frac{2gm}{r} \right)^{-1}[/tex]
[tex]g_{22} = -r^2[/tex]
[tex]g_{33} = -r^2 sin \theta[/tex]

and all nondiagonal components are zero. Right now I'm just trying to show that the Lie derivative vanishes with respect to the following vector field:

[tex]X=sin \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} + \cot \theta \cos \phi \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/tex].

By the way, if my chart map is [itex]Q[/itex] then the convention I'm using is [itex] t = Q^0[/itex], [itex]r=Q^1[/itex], [itex]\theta = Q^2[/itex] and [itex]\phi = Q^3[/itex].

In components the Lie derivative is given by

[tex](\ell_X g)_{ij} = X^m \frac{\partial}{\partial x^m}(g_{ij}) - \frac{\partial X^s}{\partial x^i} g_{sj} - \frac{\partial X^s}{\partial x^j}g_{is}.[/tex]

I've been able to show that all components of the Lie derivative are zero except for the (33) component. For the (33) component of the Lie derivative the only term that shows up from the first term is when m=2, and it is [itex]-2r^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta \sin \phi[/itex]. For the next two terms, the only contribution will be when s=3, and the two terms will be equal so that term can be written as

[tex]-2 \frac{\partial X^3}{\partial \phi} g_{33}[/tex]
[tex] 2 \cot \theta \sin \phi g_{33}[/tex]
[tex] -2 r^2 \cot \theta \sin \phi sin^2 \theta[/tex]
[tex] -2r^2 \cos \theta \sin \theta \sin \phi [/tex]

So overall I'm getting

[tex](\ell_X g)_{ij} = -4r^2 \sin \theta \cos \theta \sin \phi.[/tex] I feel like maybe I'm just dropping a negative somewhere, but I'm not seeing it. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. I now see that my formula for the Lie derivative is wrong. The minuses should be pluses.

Likes Dale
Even if you solved it already, I would just point out that it should be quite clear from the beginning, as it is an assumption Schwarzschild used to derive it. The angular part of the metric is just the regular metric on a sphere - which displays rotational symmetry. It is the only part of the metric that is affected by rotations.

Likes vanhees71
Thank you for pointing this out. I have a tendency to miss these kind of connections and get lost in the heap of algebra, especially when learning something new.

1. What is the Schwarzschild Metric?

The Schwarzschild Metric is a mathematical formula used to describe the geometry of space-time around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. It was first derived by Karl Schwarzschild in 1916 as a solution to Einstein's field equations of general relativity.

2. How does the Schwarzschild Metric show spherical symmetry?

The Schwarzschild Metric is a spherically symmetric solution, meaning it describes a space-time that is symmetrical around a central point. This symmetry is demonstrated through the metric's dependence on only two variables: time and distance from the central mass. This is in contrast to other metrics that may have more complex dependencies on additional variables.

3. What is the significance of spherical symmetry in the Schwarzschild Metric?

Spherical symmetry is significant in the Schwarzschild Metric because it represents a highly simplified and idealized scenario of a non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass. This allows for a more manageable and understandable description of the effects of gravity on space-time.

4. Can the Schwarzschild Metric be used to describe other types of objects besides black holes?

Yes, the Schwarzschild Metric can be used to describe any non-rotating, spherically symmetric mass, not just black holes. This includes objects like stars, planets, and even particles with mass.

5. How does the Schwarzschild Metric relate to the concept of a black hole event horizon?

The Schwarzschild Metric predicts the existence of a critical distance from the central mass, known as the event horizon, where the gravitational pull becomes so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. This is a key feature of black holes and is predicted by the Schwarzschild Metric for any object with a mass above a certain threshold known as the Schwarzschild radius.