View Single Post
marcus
Jan21-05, 03:38 PM
Astronomy
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 23,124
Back in post #71 I listed some rough sizes, including these force and power benchmarks.

weight of 50 kg sack of cement E-40
power of a 160 watt lightbulb E-49

I am thinking of the force E-40 as a "sack" force benchmark
and imagine a 50 kg weight on a pulley descending at speed E-9
(which is 2/3 mph, or a billonth of the speed of light)
and as it descends it does work, like turning a spindle, maybe even
generating electricity.

The power output of that descending weight is E-49. To see that,
you just have to multiply the force E-40 by the speed E-9
and you get the power. of course if you are generating electricity there
will be some loss because of inefficiencies.
but basically this force exerted at that speed delivers that much power.
and I'm going to call that level of power a BULB of power.

this is a drastic solution to the problem of remembering the brightness of sunlight. the solar constant at this distance from the sun---the power per unit area delivered by direct unattenuated sunlight----is 5.7 BULBS PER SQUARE PACE.

In natural unit terms, a pace (81 cm) is E34 and a square pace is E68 and a bulb of power is E-49. So a bulb of power spread over a square pace is
E-49/E68 = E-117
I am saying that the brightness of sunlight is 5.7 times that.
It is like about SIX of those 160 watt litebulbs set in a pace-wide square.

In natural units, 5.7E-117 is what the handbook value of the solar constant actually turns out to be. but I dont find that so easy to remember. So I visualize it as 5.7 bulbs per sq. pace.

A pace is just one of my steps----around 32 inches----so I can easily pace out a square that size on the flagstones in the garden. It is an easy area for me to visualize. and the litebulbs are easy to visualize. so I have a visual handle on this 5.7E-117
===================

In the "Force" system of natural units, the unit of power is of course E49 bulbs (because bulb was defined as E-49) and it is the power delivered by the unit Force pushing at the speed of light.

this is a lot of power and if you count as fast as you probably can outloud, say 222 counts a minute, then WITH EVERY COUNT UNIT POWER DELIVERS ENOUGH ENERGY TO CREATE 2000 SUNS.

We discussed this, it is enough power to create a galaxy in something on the order of 100 days. or if you wanted to produce such a power by annihilating stars and converting their whole mass into energy then you would have to annihilate about 2000 stars like the sun with every count.

As with conventional Planck units, these natural units are fundamentally Big Bang-scale. the temperature, the density, the pressure, ...and so on...are mostly at the level of big bang conditions. I guess that could be seen as reassuring. You can be sure ahead of time that you are not going to encounter any temperature less than zero or greater than one. the physical scales tend to be bounded between zero and one----like with speed too.