The equations of variable mass systems

In summary, the equations of variable mass systems are usually deduced informally, but a formal proof can be constructed using the continuous media equations. The local conservation of mass equation states that the derivative of the mass density with respect to time plus the divergence of the mass density times the flow velocity is equal to zero. The local equation of linear momentum balance states that the derivative of the linear momentum is equal to the net force experienced by the volume, including external forces and stress forces. The theorem for the equation of linear momentum balance also holds for the angular momentum balance and the energy balance. The equation of angular momentum balance can be derived using the same method as the linear momentum balance, resulting in an equation involving the derivative of the angular momentum, external
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The equations of variable mass systems are usually deduced from some very informal argument. It is so at least for the books I know.

So I tried to construct a formal proof based on the continuous media equations.

Criticism, remarks etc are welcomed.

Let ##D\subset \mathbb{R}^q## be an open and bounded domain with ##C^1-##smooth boundary ##\partial D##. The cases ##q=1,2,3## are physically reasonable.

The space ##\mathbb{R}^q## is endowed with an inertial frame of reference ##Ox^1,\ldots,x^q##, where ## x=(x^1,\ldots,x^q)## are the standard Cartesian coordinates:
$$\boldsymbol{x}=x^i\boldsymbol{e}_i\in \mathbb{R}^q.$$ A theorem we formulate below has an invariant form but we use the Cartesian coordinates just for convenience.

Let ##(\cdot,\cdot)## denote the standard inner product in ##\mathbb{R}^q##.

Note also that in the Cartesian frame there is no need to distinguish co- and contravariant components of tensors.

Let $$\boldsymbol w(t,x)=w^i(t,x)\boldsymbol e_i,\quad w^i\in C^1(\mathbb{R}^{q+1})$$ stand for a vector field in ##\mathbb{R}^q## and ##g^t_{t_0}(x)## be its flow:
$$\frac{d}{dt}g^t_{t_0}(x)=\boldsymbol w(t,g^t_{t_0}(x)),\quad g^{t_0}_{t_0}(x)=x.$$ We assume that ##g^t_{t_0}(x)## is defined for all real ##t,t_0## and for all ##x\in \mathbb{R}^q##.
Introduce a notation $$D(t)=g^t_{t_0}(D).$$
Loosely speaking ##\boldsymbol w## is a velocity of the volume ##D(t)##.

Assume that the domain ##D(t)## is filled with a continuous media with a mass density ##\rho(t,x)## and a flow velocity field ##\boldsymbol{v}(t,x)=v^i(t,x)\boldsymbol{e}_i##;
$$v^i,\rho\in C^1(\overline\Omega),\quad \Omega=\{(t,x)\mid x\in D(t),\quad t\in\mathbb{R}\}\subset\mathbb{R}^{q+1}.$$
The local conservation of mass equation is
$$\rho_t+\mathrm{div}(\rho\boldsymbol{v})=0$$ or
$$
\rho_t+\frac{\partial (\rho v^i)}{\partial x^i}=0.\qquad(1)$$
Let $$\boldsymbol{F}(t,x)=F^i(t,x)\boldsymbol{e}_i,\quad F^i\in C(\overline\Omega)$$ stand for a force per unit mass. So that the whole matter in ##D(t)## experiences a net force $$\boldsymbol{G}(t)=\int_{D(t)}\rho(t,x)\boldsymbol{F}(t,x)dV,$$ where ##dV## is the volume element.
We denote the stress tensor by ##p^{ij}(t,x)##. The boundary ##\partial D(t)## experiences the following external contact net force
$$\boldsymbol{P}(t)=\int_{\partial D(t)}\boldsymbol{p}_n dS,\quad \boldsymbol{p}_n=p^{ij}n_j\boldsymbol{e}_i,$$
where ##\boldsymbol{n}=n^i\boldsymbol{e}_i## is the outer unit normal to ##\partial D(t)##; ##dS## is the area element of the surface;
$$p^{ij}\in C^1(\overline\Omega).$$
The local equation of linear momentum balance is
$$
\rho\Big(v^k_t+\frac{\partial v^k}{\partial x^i}v^i\Big)=\rho F^k+\frac{\partial p^{kj}}{\partial x^j}.\qquad (2)$$
Let
$$\boldsymbol{Q}(t)=\int_{D(t)}\boldsymbol{v}(t,x)\rho(t,x) dV$$stand for the linear momentum of ##D(t)##.

THEOREM. The equation of linear momentum balance for the volume ##D(t)## is as follows
$${\boldsymbol{\dot Q}}=\boldsymbol{G}+\boldsymbol{P}+\boldsymbol{R},$$where
$$\boldsymbol{R}=-\int_{\partial D(t)}\boldsymbol{v}(\boldsymbol{v}-\boldsymbol{w},\boldsymbol{n})\rho dS.$$PROOF. By the well-known theorem from the integral calculus and due to (2) it follows that
$$\frac{d}{dt} Q^k=\int_{D(t)}\big( v_t^k\rho+ v^k\rho_t+\mathrm{div}\,(\rho v^k\boldsymbol w) \big)dV$$
$$=\int_{D(t)}\Big[ \Big(F^k-\frac{\partial v^k}{\partial x^j}v^j\Big)\rho+\frac{\partial p^{kl}}{\partial x^l}+ v^k\rho_t\Big] dV$$
$$+\int_{D(t)}\mathrm{div}\,(\rho v^k\boldsymbol w)dV.$$
Integration by parts gives
$$\int_{D(t)}\frac{\partial v^k}{\partial x^j}v^j \rho dV=\int_{\partial D(t)} v^kv^j n_j\rho ds-\int_{D(t)} v^k\mathrm{div}(\rho\boldsymbol{v})dV$$
$$\int_{D(t)}\frac{\partial p^{kl}}{\partial x^l} dV=\int_{\partial D(t)} p^{kl}n_ldS,$$
$$
\int_{D(t)}\mathrm{div}\,(\rho v^k\boldsymbol w)dV=\int_{\partial D(t)}\rho v^kw^jn_jdS.$$
To finish the proof it remains to employ (1).

The Theorem is proved.

Other theorems (the angular momentum balance and the energy balance) can be deduced by the same way.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, ergospherical and Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
As an exercise I tried to determine the equation of angular momentum balance; I wondered if my working looks correct to you? The local equation of angular momentum balance is ##p^{ij} = p^{ji}##. Let\begin{align*}
\boldsymbol{L}(t) &= \int_{D(t)} \boldsymbol{r} \times \boldsymbol{v}(\boldsymbol{r},t) \rho(\boldsymbol{r},t) dV \\

L^i(t) &= \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j v^k \rho dV
\end{align*}and also let\begin{align*}
\boldsymbol{M}(t) &= \int_{D(t)} \boldsymbol{r} \times \boldsymbol{F}(\boldsymbol{r},t) \rho(\boldsymbol{r},t)dV \\

M^i(t) &= \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j F^k \rho dV
\end{align*}Take the time derivative of ##L^i##, using the local momentum balance equation as well as ##\epsilon_{ijk} v^j v^k = 0##,\begin{align*}

\dfrac{d}{dt} L^i &= \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \left( v^j v^k \rho + x^j v^k_t \rho + x^j v^k \rho_t + \mathrm{div}(\rho x^j v^k \boldsymbol{w}) \right) dV \\

&= \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \left( x^j \left[ \left( F^k-\frac{\partial v^k}{\partial x^l}v^l\right)\rho+\frac{\partial p^{kl}}{\partial x^l} \right] + x^j v^k \rho_t \right) dV \\

&\hspace{35pt} + \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \mathrm{div}(\rho x^j v^k \boldsymbol{w}) dV \\ \\

&= \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \left( - x^j \frac{\partial v^k}{\partial x^l}v^l \rho + x^j\frac{\partial p^{kl}}{\partial x^l} + x^j v^k \rho_t \right) dV + M^i \\

&\hspace{35pt} + \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \mathrm{div}(\rho x^j v^k \boldsymbol{w}) dV

\end{align*}Using partial integration, and the relation ##\rho_t + \mathrm{div}(\rho \boldsymbol{v})= 0##, we may write\begin{align*}
\int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j\frac{\partial v^k}{\partial x^l}v^l \rho dV - \int_{\partial D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j v^kv^l n_l\rho ds &=-\int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} v^k \dfrac{\partial}{\partial x^l} ( x^j v^l \rho)dV \\

&= -\int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} v^k (v^j \rho + x^j \mathrm{div}(\rho\boldsymbol{v}))dV \\

&= -\int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j v^k \mathrm{div}(\rho\boldsymbol{v})dV \\

&= + \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j v^k \rho_t dV

\end{align*}as well as\begin{align*}
\int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j \dfrac{\partial p^{kl}}{\partial x^l} dV &= \int_{\partial D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j p^{kl} n_l ds - \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} p^{kj} dV \\

&= \int_{\partial D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j p^{kl} n_l ds
\end{align*}where in the final equality the symmetry of ##p^{ij} = p^{ji}## was used. The time derivative of ##L^i## can hence be rewritten as\begin{align*}
\dfrac{d}{dt} L^i &=
\int_{\partial D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j (p^{kl} - v^k v^l \rho) n_l ds + M^i \\

&\hspace{35pt} + \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \mathrm{div}(\rho x^j v^k \boldsymbol{w}) dV
\end{align*}Does this equation look correct? It can probably be simplified further.

Last edited:
I think you just missed ##\rho## and the formulas must be as follows
Screenshot from 2021-06-24 16-27-32.png

Likes vanhees71 and ergospherical
Thanks! I missed out a ##\rho## when writing my final equation [it is now corrected]. Then\begin{align*}

\dfrac{d}{dt} L^i &=

\int_{\partial D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j (p^{kl} - v^k v^l \rho) n_l ds + M^i \\
&\hspace{35pt} + \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \mathrm{div}(\rho x^j v^k \boldsymbol{w}) dV \\ \\&=
\int_{\partial D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} x^j p^{kl} n_l ds + M^i \\
&\hspace{35pt} + \int_{D(t)} \epsilon_{ijk} \rho x^j v^k (w^l - v^l) n_l ds

\end{align*}Multiplying by ##\boldsymbol{e}_i## yields\begin{align*}
\dfrac{d}{dt} \boldsymbol{L} = \int_{\partial D(t)} \boldsymbol{r} \times \boldsymbol{p}_n ds + \boldsymbol{M} + \int_{\partial D(t)} \boldsymbol{r} \times \boldsymbol{v} (\boldsymbol{w} - \boldsymbol{v}, \boldsymbol{n}) ds
\end{align*}where ##(\boldsymbol{p}_n)^i = p^{ij} n_j##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are "The equations of variable mass systems"?

The equations of variable mass systems are mathematical equations that describe the motion of an object whose mass is changing over time. These systems are commonly encountered in physics and engineering, such as in rocket propulsion or fluid dynamics.

2. What is the importance of understanding these equations?

Understanding the equations of variable mass systems is crucial for accurately predicting the behavior and motion of objects that experience changes in mass. This knowledge is essential in fields such as aerospace engineering, where precise calculations are necessary for successful space missions.

3. How do these equations differ from the equations of constant mass systems?

The main difference between the equations of variable mass systems and constant mass systems is that the mass term in the equations changes over time in variable mass systems. This adds an additional complexity to the equations and requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques, such as calculus.

4. Can these equations be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the equations of variable mass systems can be applied to real-world situations. As mentioned before, they are commonly used in fields such as aerospace engineering, but they can also be applied to other areas, such as fluid dynamics or chemical reactions.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions in these equations?

Like any mathematical model, the equations of variable mass systems have limitations and make certain assumptions. For example, they assume that the mass changes continuously and that there are no external forces acting on the system. These assumptions may not hold true in all situations, so it is important to carefully consider their applicability before using the equations.