How could the universe possibly expand?

• Thread starter cliowa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the loop gravity model predicts that at high densities, gravity becomes repulsive and the universe bounces instead of collapsing into a black hole.
cliowa
How could the universe possibly expand??

My understanding concerning black holes is this: If there is enough mass (which means quite alot, in this case) with only very little extension, i.e. lots of mass in a tiny little region of spacetime, spacetime will curve according to this and eventually (the event being: enough mass) form a black hole, from which there is no way out. Absolutely no way out, not even for light. (I'm not talking about quantum fluctuations at the "border" of a black hole, here.) My point is: once you're inside, you can't get out.

Now the standard Big Bang theory, as far as I understand, says that at the very beginning all mass of the entire universe was at one point, from which it expanded: it made bang. But: How could that possibly happen? All the mass of the entire universe is certainly enough for a black hole to form, the spacetime region certainly small enough. Why didn't the whole thing collapse into a black hole instead of expanding all the way?

Thanks a lot for any explanations. Best regards...Cliowa

Space news on Phys.org
Big bang theory has space itself expanding. This is different from something trying to escape from a large gravitational field (e.g. black hole).

cliowa said:

Now the standard Big Bang theory, as far as I understand, says that at the very beginning all mass of the entire universe was at one point, ...

there are several rival approaches to quantizing gravity. Several of them get the same result of repairing the big bang singularity so the problem you are talking about does not arise. the new theories await testing. Some tests are possible near-term (next year or two).
To sample current ideas, try Ashtekar's articles
"Quantum Nature of the Big Bang"
or "The Issue of the Beginning in Quantum Gravity"
or the talk which he gave at the Einstein Centennial in Paris last year,
which was called "Gravity, Geometry, and the Quantum"

I will get some links.
Here is one written for general audience:
http://www.physorg.com/news66660003.html

In the loop gravity model which Ashtekar helped to develop
gravity becomes repulsive at very high densities

in situations where the 1915 Einstein theory gave a "singularity" the loop gravity model predicts a bounce

"singularities" do not, as far as is known, exist in nature. they are places where a human-constructed theory breaks down. the 1915 theory had a failure at the big bang moment when expansion began----it broke down and failed to compute meaningful numbers

so for many years popularizers of physics gave the public some song and dance about "infinite density" and talked as if the singularity was a real thing----but meanwhile researchers like Ashtekar were working on it trying to fix it.

since 2001 the problem seems to have been fixed, and to have stayed fixed, at least provisionally until observations can be made to TEST the new theory

http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0605078
The Issue of the Beginning in Quantum Gravity

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0602086
Quantum Nature of the Big Bang

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0605011
Gravity, Geometry and the Quantum
"After a brief introduction, basic ideas of the quantum Riemannian geometry underlying loop quantum gravity are summarized. To illustrate physical ramifications of quantum geometry, the framework is then applied to homogeneous isotropic cosmology. Quantum geometry effects are shown to replace the big bang by a big bounce. Thus, quantum physics does not stop at the big-bang singularity. Rather there is a pre-big-bang branch joined to the current post-big-bang branch by a `quantum bridge'. Furthermore, thanks to the background independence of loop quantum gravity, evolution is deterministic across the bridge."

there is a BBC news article about this. maybe I can find the link

Last edited:

1. How do we know that the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed that galaxies are moving away from each other at increasing speeds, indicating that the space between them is expanding. This is known as the redshift phenomenon, which is caused by the stretching of light waves as they travel through expanding space. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, leftover radiation from the Big Bang, also provides evidence of an expanding universe.

2. What is causing the expansion of the universe?

The current leading explanation for the expansion of the universe is dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. Dark energy is believed to be causing the expansion by counteracting the force of gravity and pushing galaxies apart.

3. Is the universe expanding into something?

No, the universe is not expanding into anything. The universe is all-encompassing and there is nothing beyond it for it to expand into. Instead, the expansion of the universe refers to the increase in distance between objects within the universe.

4. Will the universe continue to expand forever?

It is currently believed that the universe will continue to expand forever. This is because dark energy is thought to be a constant force, meaning it will continue to push galaxies apart at an increasing rate. However, there is still much we do not know about dark energy and the expansion of the universe, so this could change as our understanding evolves.

5. How does the expansion of the universe affect us?

On a large scale, the expansion of the universe does not have a significant impact on our everyday lives. However, it does have implications for the future of the universe. As the universe continues to expand, galaxies will become further and further apart, making it more difficult for them to interact and form new stars. This means that eventually, the universe will become dark and cold, unable to sustain life as we know it.