Could the source of dark energy be our parent black hole feeding?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of living inside a black hole and whether dark energy could be explained by a feeding cycle of our parent black hole. However, this idea is not supported by observational data and is considered more of a personal speculation rather than real physics. The conversation also mentions a PBS Space Time episode on the topic, but it is seen as more of entertainment rather than a reliable source for learning physics. The conversation ends with the thread being temporarily closed due to its speculative nature.
Bob Walance
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
If the creation of our spacetime is linked to a parent black hole, it seems that it might be possible that the source of our dark energy might simply be due to our parent black hole being in a feeding cycle.
About a year ago, I heard Leonard Susskind discussing how entangled black holes could create spacetime. As I was listening to Prof. Susskind describe the mechanisms for creating entangled black holes, and how these black holes might create their own spacetime, it occurred to me that if we were part of black-hole-created spacetime, and if our parent black holes were feeding, the mass/energy that they were devouring might inflate our spacetime - just as we detect that dark energy is (or was) doing.

Since then, I am aware of others that suggest that we might live inside of a black hole. There's even a PBS Space Time episode "Could the Universe Be Inside a Black Hole?"

Is this a plausible possibility that our dark energy is due to a feeding cycle of our parent black hole?

Space news on Phys.org
Aren't the observational data favoring infinite universe? Hence we can not be inside a black hole.

Bob Walance said:
if we were part of black-hole-created spacetime, and if our parent black holes were feeding, the mass/energy that they were devouring might inflate our spacetime - just as we detect that dark energy is (or was) doing.

Personal speculation.

Bob Walance said:
Since then, I am aware of others that suggest that we might live inside of a black hole. There's even a PBS Space Time episode "Could the Universe Be Inside a Black Hole?"
That’s not real physics, it’s entertainment. Watching this stuff is fun, but it doesn’t work as a way of learning any physics.

Likes Vanadium 50 and malawi_glenn
Bob Walance said:
Is this a plausible possibility that our dark energy is due to a feeding cycle of our parent black hole?
No, almost certainly not. For starters, how do you create spacetime, how do you 'inflate' it with the positive energy of regular matter, and how would this feeding mechanism be linked to dark energy, given that dark energy is thought to scale with the size of the universe*, not the number of black holes?

*More like distance between objects and the density of the universe.

Bob Walance said:
About a year ago, I heard Leonard Susskind discussing how entangled black holes could create spacetime.
Where? Please give a reference.

Bob Walance said:
if we were part of black-hole-created spacetime
We aren't. "Black hole created spacetime" (which is a very poorly chosen phrase, if Susskind is referring to what I think he's referring to) is inside a black hole. We're not inside a black hole.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Thread will stay closed by the request of the OP. He realizes that it is a bit too speculative for PF, since he is not able to find the original reference. Thanks @Bob Walance

1. What is dark energy and why is it important?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe and plays a critical role in understanding the structure and evolution of the cosmos.

2. How does a black hole relate to dark energy?

Black holes are known for their immense gravitational pull, which can affect the surrounding space and time. Some theories suggest that the energy released by a black hole as it feeds on matter could contribute to the overall energy of the universe, including dark energy.

3. Is there evidence to support this theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the idea that black holes are the source of dark energy. However, some observations have shown that the expansion of the universe is accelerating, which aligns with the predictions of dark energy. Further research and observations are needed to fully understand the origins of dark energy.

4. How could we test this hypothesis?

One way to test this theory is to study the behavior of black holes and their surrounding environments. By observing how black holes interact with their surroundings and how they release energy, we may be able to gain insight into their potential role in contributing to dark energy.

5. What are the implications if this theory is proven to be true?

If it is confirmed that black holes are the source of dark energy, it would significantly impact our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It could also open up new avenues for research and potentially lead to advancements in our understanding of gravity and the fundamental laws of physics.