The Should I Become a Mathematician? Thread

by mathwonk
Tags: mathematician
Share this thread:
Kummer
Aug6-07, 10:43 AM
P: 291
Quote Quote by Darkiekurdo View Post
So if you study mathematics you understand everything immediately?
No. I am had/having a bad experience with modular forms. They are very hard for me.
mathwonk
Aug6-07, 11:41 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
i have been demotivated lots of times, thinking i would never grasp something, or never solve something, that i must be in the wrong business. now its more from inactivity. getting back to work after a lull is also hard but usually cures the blues now.

for modular forms, have you tried reading gunning, or serre?
Werg22
Aug6-07, 11:48 AM
P: 1,520
Quote Quote by JasonRox View Post
The most intelligent student in our math departments are introverted/extroverted or extroverted. Probably one the best things about the department. I would hate to hang out with an introvert.
And what does you hating to hang out with an introvert have anything to do with his mathematical abilities? Aside from that, I did not exclude exceptions.
Kummer
Aug6-07, 05:52 PM
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
for modular forms, have you tried reading gunning, or serre?
It is just I do not have any algebraic geometry skills. It seems to me that I must learn that now, important in number theory.
mathwonk
Aug6-07, 07:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
not needed for those books is it?

http://www.amazon.com/Lectures-Modul...6446969&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Course-Arithme...447026&sr=1-12
MathematicalPhysicist
Aug8-07, 09:39 AM
P: 3,220
Quote Quote by JasonRox View Post

Perelman is not choosing to be alone. I believe he's anti-social, so that's not a choice at that point. It's a disorder.
just because someone isn't sociable makes it a disorder?
jostpuur
Aug8-07, 10:44 AM
P: 2,028
Quote Quote by Darkiekurdo View Post
Do you guys have those moments where you are so demotivated you want to quit with mathematics?
Yes. The university business seems to be dumb and frustrating, and I don't understand why I keep aiming at getting there.
pivoxa15
Aug9-07, 06:10 AM
P: 2,268
Quote Quote by jostpuur View Post
Yes. The university business seems to be dumb and frustrating, and I don't understand why I keep aiming at getting there.
Maybe because other instutitions are even more frustrating like private businesses. Moreover only an institution like a university can you do some genuine learning.
pivoxa15
Aug9-07, 06:13 AM
Mathwonk, I have the serious problem that I pretty much cannot do any of the problems in my pure maths subject unless I take a peak at the solution. Is that a sign that I should quit pure maths? That especially goes for topology. I did poorly in the prereqs as well so that could be the root to my problems.
mathwonk
Aug9-07, 09:49 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
it probably means you lack some background. just start further back as you say with perhaps topology. or get an easier book. i dont see why you should quit. we all have the same problem of finding the right entry level treatment of a new topic.

or it may eman you are not learning the material well eneough before trying the problems. or that you need mroe practice solving such problems. when trying to doa problem that does not yield, just make the problem easier and solve the easier one. then try to work back up.
JasonRox
Aug9-07, 01:40 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
I loooovvveee topology.

I can't wait to learn more this Fall.
Jaden
Aug9-07, 05:05 PM
P: 5
Mathwonk, do you know a good derivation of the normal distribution. It's used so often everywhere and it bothers me that I have to take something for granted which does not look obvious like 1+1.
Kummer
Aug9-07, 05:29 PM
Quote Quote by Jaden View Post
Mathwonk, do you know a good derivation of the normal distribution. It's used so often everywhere and it bothers me that I have to take something for granted which does not look obvious like 1+1.
Did you try looking in a standard (mathematical level) probability book.

I say mathematical level one because there are some easier ones used by other majors which need probability theory. In those books the normal distribution is mentioned but not much is developed in theory.
Werg22
Aug9-07, 05:34 PM
P: 1,520
The question is ambiguous. It is of course possible to prove that the integration from minus infinity to infinity of the normal distribution function gives 1. However, as to how to go from "I am looking for a function whose integration from -infinity to infinity is 1 and that is even" to an actual answer, I do not know.
mathwonk
Aug9-07, 05:54 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
i did not even know what the question means, but i could ask somebody more knowledgeable, is that the question? prove the integral of something over R is 1? or what? i have not taken probability since 1963, and only got a B+ then. (I think it was discrete probability too.)
pivoxa15
Aug9-07, 06:32 PM
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
it probably means you lack some background. just start further back as you say with perhaps topology. or get an easier book. i dont see why you should quit. we all have the same problem of finding the right entry level treatment of a new topic.

or it may eman you are not learning the material well eneough before trying the problems. or that you need mroe practice solving such problems. when trying to doa problem that does not yield, just make the problem easier and solve the easier one. then try to work back up.
But the class is progressing and if I can't do the assignments then that is a problem. The worst thing is that the difficulty is getting to the point where I am actaully trying to avoid the problems which is a 'deadly' sign.
mathwonk
Aug9-07, 06:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
you may not learn the stuff this time around. thats fine. it'll come later.

or if you are committed to getting it this time, institute a crSH PLAN. WHEN i was flunking diff eq i bought a schaums outline series in d.e. and began working all the problems until i caught up.

or post some questions on here in the appropriate forum. we'll help you get the ideas. start with one or two here. i love topology. when i was a senior i took kelleys general topology and read it over the summer and worked the problems. it isnt very hard core or fun topology but it gives you the basic abstract point set stuff.

and i alwAYS FOUND SIMMONS ONE OF THE VERY CLEAREST EXPOSITORS of analysis. sterling k berberian was also excellent.
Jaden
Aug9-07, 06:55 PM
P: 5
Can you recommend me a textbook which explains in a more simple way where the normal distribution function comes from ?

Register to reply