Would I become a mathematician if I finished this textbook?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on becoming a mathematician by studying a specific book. They have been studying math on their own and are looking for suggestions on a graduate level book to test their skills. They express interest in attending university or graduate school to further their education.
knockout_artist
question:
would I become mathematician if I read and worked exercises of
INTRODUCTORY FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS WITH APPLICATIONS
(Erwin Kreyszig)
?
information:
I have been studying mathematics at my own, I am now probing which direction to go.

suggestion needed:
Please tell me any graduate level pure math book so I can make my self miserable for few month to see where I stand.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
knockout_artist said:
question:
would I become mathematician if I read and worked exercises of
INTRODUCTORY FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS WITH APPLICATIONS
(Erwin Kreyszig)
?

Well, that would be very admirable. But how would you know your answers are correct?

information:
I have been studying mathematics at my own, I am now probing which direction to go.

suggestion needed:
Please tell me any graduate level pure math book so I can make my self miserable for few month to see where I stand.

Thank you.

University and grad school in particular has the misery you seek. Any chance of that?

By working solo, one might consider oneself an amateur mathematician. That is simply a person who loves (but is perhaps not credentialed) the subject.

-Dave K

dkotschessaa said:
Well, that would be very admirable. But how would you know your answers are correct?
I don't know..

So far my path has been like this:
if I am doing asthmatic right I know number reasonably ok.
if I am doing calculus that means my trig/limit and stuff is ok-ish
if I am doing analytic functions that means my complex no. are ok-ish
if I am doing ODEs that means my calculus is ok-ish
if I am doing norm space etc that means my linear space is ok-ish
University and grad school in particular has the misery you seek. Any chance of that?

By working solo, one might consider oneself an amateur mathematician. That is simply a person who loves (but is perhaps not credentialed) the subject.

-Dave K

I have not studied math after grad 10, I will see If I can work some thing.. GRE or some thing.. with long distance edu.

Thanks for your reply!

1. Would finishing this textbook guarantee me a career as a mathematician?

No, finishing this textbook alone does not guarantee a career as a mathematician. Becoming a mathematician requires not only knowledge and understanding of mathematical concepts, but also critical thinking skills, creativity, and the ability to solve complex problems.

2. Can I become a mathematician without finishing this textbook?

Yes, it is possible to become a mathematician without finishing this particular textbook. There are many different approaches to learning mathematics and this textbook may not be the best fit for everyone. What is important is having a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them.

3. Will finishing this textbook make me an expert in all areas of mathematics?

No, this textbook may cover a variety of topics in mathematics, but it is unlikely that it will make you an expert in all areas. Mathematics is a vast field with many different branches and specialties. It is important to continue learning and exploring different areas of mathematics to become an expert in a specific field.

4. How long will it take me to finish this textbook?

The time it takes to finish this textbook will vary depending on your learning style, background knowledge, and the amount of time you dedicate to studying. Some may finish it quickly while others may take longer. The important thing is to focus on understanding the concepts rather than rushing through the material.

5. Will this textbook prepare me for higher level mathematics courses?

Yes, this textbook is designed to provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and prepare you for higher level mathematics courses. However, it is important to consistently review and practice the material to ensure a solid understanding before moving on to more advanced topics.