Should a theoretical physicist learn maths like a mathematician?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in becoming a theoretical physicist and their concerns about the level of math knowledge needed for the field. They mention that their university courses primarily focus on application rather than theory, and question whether they should also study math from a mathematics department in addition to their physics courses. The response advises that while they don't need to learn math like a mathematician, a strong understanding of math is important for using it as a tool in physics. The speaker is also recommended to watch a video on the relationship between math and physics.
lawlieto
I'm currently doing my undergraduate physics course at university, and I'm quite confident I'd like to be a theorist in the future. We have separate maths lectures from maths students, and most people have an attitude towards maths which could be summed up as "only learn what you need to know, you're not a mathematician." We mainly learn application, and never really care about where things came from, or why they're true, but this just got me to the point where I'm asking myself if my maths knowledge is good for anything else other than solving exam questions. The books we're recommended are obviously "maths for physicists" books, and don't really explain any maths, but focus on how to solve problems. Our maths lecturers are physicists, but most of them were astrophysicists doing research, so I'd imagine they don't need to rely heavily on things like the abstract part of linear algebra, hence giving students the impression that we can get away with dodgy maths.

So my question is, should I learn "real maths" from our maths department notes, from actual maths books, and also topics which are not on my specification but help my understanding of maths? Should a theoretical physicist learn maths like a mathematician?

Physics news on Phys.org
lawlieto said:
So my question is, should I learn "real maths" from our maths department notes, from actual maths books, and also topics which are not on my specification but help my understanding of maths? Should a theoretical physicist learn maths like a mathematician?

If you have an hour to spare, you might like to watch this:

http://www.cornell.edu/video/richard-feynman-messenger-lecture-2-relation-mathematics-physics

My two cents worth is that you can't learn it like a mathematician, but that is different from your maths being dodgy. You are ultimately using maths as a tool. You don't need to be able to make your own tools, but the better you understand your tools the better you may use them. So, it's a balance that you'll have to strike.

Likes CivilSigma, JoePhysics and lawlieto
PeroK said:
If you have an hour to spare, you might like to watch this:

http://www.cornell.edu/video/richard-feynman-messenger-lecture-2-relation-mathematics-physics

My two cents worth is that you can't learn it like a mathematician, but that is different from your maths being dodgy. You are ultimately using maths as a tool. You don't need to be able to make your own tools, but the better you understand your tools the better you may use them. So, it's a balance that you'll have to strike.

Thank you for your reply, so I definitely have to improve on my understanding of maths, it's just that I'm not absolutely sure where the "borderline" is.

I'll definitely watch the video after my exams next week.

Absolutely not. Math is not physics, and the way mathematicians think is useless for doing science or engineering. However it is very useful for doing mathematics; if you want to be a mathematical physicist, operating at the interface of the disciplines, you need to think more like a mathematician.

1. What is the importance of mathematics for a theoretical physicist?

Mathematics is a fundamental tool for understanding and describing the physical world. It provides the language and framework for theoretical physicists to develop and test theories about the laws of nature. Without a solid foundation in mathematics, it is difficult for a theoretical physicist to make meaningful contributions to the field.

2. Is it necessary for a theoretical physicist to have the same level of mathematical expertise as a mathematician?

No, it is not necessary for a theoretical physicist to have the same level of mathematical expertise as a mathematician. While a strong understanding of mathematics is essential for a theoretical physicist, their focus is on using mathematical tools to model and explain physical phenomena, rather than proving mathematical theorems.

3. Can a theoretical physicist still be successful without advanced mathematical knowledge?

It is possible for a theoretical physicist to be successful without advanced mathematical knowledge, but it will limit their ability to fully understand and contribute to the field. A solid understanding of mathematics allows for more complex and accurate models, and opens up opportunities for new discoveries and breakthroughs.

4. How can a theoretical physicist improve their mathematical skills?

A theoretical physicist can improve their mathematical skills through dedicated study and practice. They can also attend seminars and workshops on mathematical topics relevant to their research, collaborate with mathematicians, and read mathematical texts and papers to deepen their understanding.

5. Are there any specific mathematical areas that a theoretical physicist should focus on?

Theoretical physicists should have a broad understanding of mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and abstract algebra. Depending on their specific research interests, they may also need to have expertise in areas such as geometry, topology, or functional analysis. It is important for a theoretical physicist to continuously expand their mathematical knowledge to stay at the forefront of their field.