How Can I Build a Stable Tower with Just Paper and Tape?

In summary, In order to build a tower that supports at least three textbooks, you will need:2 pieces of regular printer paper12 inches of masking tape4 inches of wood1.5 pounds of textbooks.
bibliophile
I have to build a tower in class that supports at least three textbooks.

Materials
2 pieces of regular printer paper
12 inches of masking tape

Specifics
Must be at least 4" tall
Cannot crumple

I've been working all day trying to figure it out...any help would be welcomed

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Give an approximate weight for these textbooks.

about 1.5 pounds...we have to have at least three, but our main goal is to have over 27

any suggestions

Are you allowed multiple folds?

Ok I've just worked it out. Cut each A4 sheet of paper into 4 pieces. Then turn them into cylinders keeping them together with the tape. Then simply space these 8 cyinders out with gaps in the middle, and the books should hold. If you don't understand that just say and ill try explain better.

yes...just forgot something...they all have to be connected

Ok then connect them.

Another possibility is to fold the cylinders at "zig-zag"; this make them more resistant to compression (but reduces their radius). I sometimes play with bank notes this way to sustain glassess.

Ok, so I would go for a cylinder shape, wether zig zagged or not, I think this is the way to go. Good luck.

lightarrow, can you show me an example?

bibliophile said:

With a bank note: fold the short side of it about 8 mm, then fold the successive 8 mm in the opposite way ecc. At the end you have a kind of "folding door". Then you connect the two short ends of the bank note and you have a kind of "toothed cylinder" one base of which is put horizontallly on a table; then you slowly put an object (a glass for example) trying to find its correct horizontal position on the folded bank note with slight corrections (or it will fall down). It requires some practice. I usually use a 10 € bank note.

Last edited:
What class is this for?

I had a similar project in a class called "intro to engineering" It was team based and we had to build a load bearing structure out of balsa wood. However, we had to do our brainstorming and final concept design in class to prevent outside help.

bibliophile said:
In addition to what I wrote, I think that "toothed cylinder" construction should be stabilized putting it between two normal cylinders of paper, so that it cannot "open" or "close" when you put the books on it.
>Good work.
Let me know if you succeeded and how.

1. How do I choose the location for my tower?

Choosing the location for your tower is a crucial step in the building process. You should consider factors such as the ground stability, accessibility, and visibility. It is also important to check for any potential obstructions or zoning restrictions in the area.

2. What materials should I use to build my tower?

The materials you use will depend on the height and purpose of your tower. Common materials for tower construction include steel, concrete, and wood. It is important to consult with an engineer to determine the best materials for your specific project.

3. Do I need a permit to build a tower?

In most cases, you will need a permit to build a tower. The specific requirements may vary depending on your location and the height of the tower. It is important to check with your local government or building department to determine the necessary permits and approvals.

4. How do I ensure the stability and safety of my tower?

Stability and safety should be top priorities when building a tower. This can be achieved by following building codes and regulations, using quality materials, and hiring experienced professionals for the construction. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be conducted to ensure the tower remains safe and stable.

5. What is the estimated cost of building a tower?

The cost of building a tower can vary greatly depending on factors such as the height, materials, and location. It is best to consult with architects and engineers to get an accurate estimate for your specific project. Additionally, it is important to budget for any necessary permits, inspections, and ongoing maintenance costs.