Paper Towers - Any Known Record, we got 194 cm

• Thread starter texasdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary: Do you have any pictures of the tower?In summary, the conversation discussed a physics project at Anderson High School where students built paper towers using limited materials. The most successful tower was taller than the speaker and stood for over 30 minutes due to its unique design and construction techniques. Photos were shared and the speaker encouraged others to try and beat the tower's height.
texasdave
Hey Everyone,

Today I subbed for a very clever group of Physics I students at Anderson High School, 3rd Period, Mr. Holman (April 3rd, 2009), Austin TX. We did the standard Paper Towers project with the following rules:

a) 1 sheet of regular Letter sized copy paper / printer paper -- the cheap stuff of course.
b) 50 cm of masking tape
c) each tower must stand for at least 10 seconds

We got lots of different unique designs, but the one that stuck out was a tower that was taller than me, and I'm 187 cm! We measured approximately 194 cm.

This particular tower was so well built, it stayed up over 30 minutes, long enough for us to forget about it in class. Longer than ALL the shorter ones with bigger bases or stronger supports.

We found a few tips / secrets to why this one was so successful:

-cut the paper into .25cm wide strips, folding them tightly into long skinny "L" shapes, as many as possible.
-do not bend the paper EVER... it ruins any structural stability you need later on!
-use 3 legs with horizontal supports as needed, but no base is needed if you're legs are strong enough.
-build from the TOP down... this was the main thing that led to the most success.

The attached photos are not as clear as I'd like, but it towers over a green file cabinet easily. The legs are hard to see because the floor is white tile, same color as the tiny little paper legs.

Please post new heights when you get them!

thanks!

--
Mr. "O"
--

Attachments

• IMAGE_078.jpg
    IMAGE_078.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 552
  • IMAGE_079.jpg
    IMAGE_079.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 546
  • IMAGE_080.jpg
    IMAGE_080.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 561
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hey Mr. "O"! Welcome to PF! :smile:

That's very impressive!

Wow, that is an impressive record for the paper tower project! It's amazing to see the creativity and problem-solving skills of your students in action. It's also interesting to hear about the different techniques and strategies they used to achieve their tower's height.

I can see how cutting the paper into thin strips and building from the top down would make a big difference in the structural stability of the tower. It's also great to hear that the tower stood for over 30 minutes, showing that it was not only tall but also well-built.

Thank you for sharing this experience and the tips for success with the paper tower project. I'm sure other students and teachers will find them helpful in their own attempts at breaking the record. Keep up the great work with your students and I look forward to hearing about any new records they set in the future!

1. How was the record for paper tower height determined?

The record for paper tower height was determined by measuring the height of the tallest paper tower built by a group of individuals using the same materials and following the same guidelines.

2. What materials were used to build the paper tower?

The paper tower was built using only paper and glue. No other materials were permitted in order to ensure a fair and accurate record.

3. How many people were involved in building the paper tower?

The paper tower was built by a group of individuals, typically ranging from 3-5 people, who worked together to create the tallest tower possible within the given time frame.

4. What was the time frame for building the paper tower?

The time frame for building the paper tower varied, but typically ranged from 1-2 hours. This allowed for enough time to build a tall tower while also maintaining a sense of urgency and competition.

5. Can the record for paper tower height be broken?

Yes, the record for paper tower height can be broken if another group is able to build a tower taller than 194 cm using only paper and glue. This record is meant to be a challenge and can be broken at any time.

Back