Can a paper and tape tower hold 1 L of water for more than 1 minute?

In summary, the task is to build a tower using only paper and sticky tape that can support 1 L of water for at least 1 minute and is 1.5m tall. The time frame for construction is 5 minutes. The individual has attempted different designs but has not been successful. They are open to suggestions and have considered using a shortened roll of newsprint as a possible solution. They have also asked if there is a size limit for the paper.
Endorser
As part of an assignment, I have been asked to construct a tower that is completely made of paper and sticky tape. This tower must be built with 4 specifications:

1. Must be built of nothing but paper and tape no cutting devices, glue, ect ect.
2. Must be built within 5 minutes.
3. Must be able to hold 1 L of water on the top for more than 1 minute.
4. Must be 1.5m tall.

I have tried a range of difference shapes and designs but they all take too long or are too flimsy.

All assistance is welcome!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

I have seen trucks going by carrying 3 huge rolls of newsprint, each much longer than 1.5m. Maybe a shortened one of these, standing on end, will do the job? No glue or sticky tape needed.

Is there a limit to the dimensions of the sheet of paper?

1. How do you determine the height of the paper tower?

The height of the paper tower is typically measured from the base to the highest point of the structure. This can be determined by using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What is the best type of paper to use for building a paper tower?

The best type of paper to use for building a paper tower is a sturdy and lightweight material, such as cardstock or construction paper. This will provide enough structural support for the tower while also being easy to work with.

3. Do you recommend using any additional materials for stability?

It is not necessary to use additional materials for stability, as the goal of building a paper tower is to use only paper. However, if you are having trouble with stability, you can use glue or tape to secure the structure in place.

4. How can I make my paper tower taller?

To make your paper tower taller, you can try using longer pieces of paper or adding more layers to the structure. You can also experiment with different folding techniques to create a more stable and taller tower.

5. Is there a specific technique for building a strong paper tower?

Yes, there are several techniques that can help you build a strong paper tower. These include creating a stable base, using symmetrical and evenly spaced folds, and reinforcing weak points with additional layers of paper. It may also be helpful to plan and sketch out your design before starting to build.