Register to reply

Books on Analysis and Linear Algebra

by JG89
Tags: algebra, analysis, books, linear
Share this thread:
JG89
Jun26-08, 02:17 AM
P: 726
I just bought "Introduction to Calculus & Analysis - Volume 1" by Richard Courant. I am also looking for a good book on Linear Algebra.

1) Is the Courant book (I ordered it from the internet so I didn't get it yet) good?

2) What good books on Linear Algebra are there?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
Werg22
Jun26-08, 03:23 AM
P: 1,520
This should be moved to the Science Books Review sections. In any case, Courant is excellent. I have yet to find an introductory book at its level. I have one an only one complaint about Courant: he presents a "weak" version of the fundamental theorem of calculus, only considering continuous integrands. I think this is due to the unavailability of the mean value theorem of differential calculus at the time he presents the theorem (he develops the integral calculus before differentiation), which is usually used to prove the stronger version. For linear algebra, have a look at Shilov.
Crosson
Jun26-08, 04:33 AM
P: 1,295
'Linear Algebra Done Right' by Sheldon Axler is a good book for a first course in abstract linear algebra.

JG89
Jun26-08, 11:21 AM
Books on Analysis and Linear Algebra

Is the Linear Algebra book by Shilov meant for first year undergraduate? Or does it require prior knowledge of linear algebra?
Werg22
Jun26-08, 04:35 PM
It's hard for me to say. My class (Advanced Linear Algebra 1) uses Friedberg, which I find inferior to Shilov. It's difficult to jump head first into Shilov's book without any prior exposure to some concepts from algebra. Are you a HS student? Have you read through university math literature before?
JG89
Jun26-08, 05:44 PM
I just finished HS. I'm currently working through Introduction to Calculus and Analysis by Courant.
Werg22
Jun26-08, 11:15 PM
Then I suppose Shilov is a bit too advanced. It's inexpensive though, so you, if you want to try it, go for it.

Register to reply