I need a book on linear algebra....

In summary: LA has all kinds of applications, so the more we know about how you want to apply this knowledge, the better recommendations we can make.
Vectronix
Is Advanced Linear and Matrix Algebra by Nathaniel Johnston a good book on linear algebra? Will it teach me all I need to know? Is there any calculus in it despite the name? I never took a course on linear algebra so I'm looking for something that teaches everything and includes calculus with matrices. If not, would you recommend a book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vectronix said:
Is Advanced Linear and Matrix Algebra by Nathaniel Johnston a good book on linear algebra? Will it teach me all I need to know? Is there any calculus in it despite the name? I never took a course on linear algebra so I'm looking for something that teaches everything and includes calculus with matrices. If not, would you recommend a book?
Can you say more about what your interests are in learning Linear Algebra? What types of problems do you want to be able to understand and solve after working through this LA book? It sounds like you are mostly self studying -- what is your educational background so far?

LA has all kinds of applications, so the more we know about how you want to apply this knowledge, the better recommendations we can make. :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you say more about what your interests are in learning Linear Algebra? What types of problems do you want to be able to understand and solve after working through this LA book? It sounds like you are mostly self studying -- what is your educational background so far?

LA has all kinds of applications, so the more we know about how you want to apply this knowledge, the better recommendations we can make. :smile:
Yeah, I'm self-studying. I was taking calculus 3 and ordinary differential equations in school and had to quit in the middle because of a job offer. I hope to learn and solve problems in quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve problems related to linear systems, transformations, and vector spaces.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful tool for solving complex problems and analyzing data.

3. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, determinants, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems involving linear relationships and transformations.

4. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous real-world applications, such as image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, machine learning, and optimization problems. It is also used in physics for solving problems related to forces and motion, and in economics for analyzing supply and demand relationships.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, you can practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. You can also read textbooks and watch online lectures or tutorials. Additionally, you can join study groups or seek help from a tutor or teacher for further clarification and guidance.