Book needed for Applied Linear Analysis Course

In summary: I would recommend it to someone who knows some calculus.This book is a good starting point for someone who wants to learn functional analysis. However, it does not have a lot of coverage of the topics in your course description.
MidgetDwarf
The course description is as follows:

Description Function spaces, convergence, inner product, bounded linear operators, integral operators and integral equations, adjoint operators, expansion in eigenfunctions, resolvent, kernel

The instructor is on sabbatical, until the start of the class. So it is not possible to send him an inquiry directly. Moreover, the course has no assigned textbook.

The only requirements for the course are: Intro Real Analysis 1 (from sequences up to MVT/ No differentiation/Integration). Intro Linear Algebra (Lower Division), and lower division ODE.

When I google the Applied Linear Analysis, I get results for mainly Statistics based math. A few entries turned up as Functional Analysis. Is this a functional analysis course based on the topics?

Anyhow, does anyone know a book that covers the topics in the course description?

Physics news on Phys.org
The course description appears to cover topics from functional analysis. However, doesn't the instructor have a public email address? Even if on sabbatical, he might recommend a suitable book.

Likes vanhees71
MidgetDwarf said:
When I google the Applied Linear Analysis, I get results for mainly Statistics based math. A few entries turned up as Functional Analysis. Is this a functional analysis course based on the topics?
I agree with @Petek: from your course description, the course seems much more like functional analysis than statistics.

Thanks for the replies. I sent an email a bit after reading the replies but forgot to follow up.

When I emailed the instructor, I received an automated reply. No actual reply from the professor.

So I will wait and see, or email at the end of the July.

In the meantime, I was able to find a hard copy of Functional Analysis: An introduction, by Dzung Minh Ha.
The same people that print Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential forms by Hubbard. I am on chapter 2, and learned some interesting math so far. It appears to not ask much for prerequisites.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Applied Linear Analysis?

Applied Linear Analysis is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of linear equations and their applications in various fields such as engineering, economics, and physics.

2. Why do I need a book for this course?

A book is an essential resource for learning Applied Linear Analysis as it provides a comprehensive overview of the subject and includes examples, exercises, and practice problems that will help you understand the concepts better.

3. What topics are typically covered in a book for Applied Linear Analysis?

A book for Applied Linear Analysis usually covers topics such as vector spaces, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, matrix algebra, and applications of linear algebra in real-world problems.

4. What are some recommended books for an Applied Linear Analysis course?

Some popular books for Applied Linear Analysis include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Applied Linear Algebra" by Peter J. Olver and Chehrzad Shakiban.

5. How can I make the most out of my book for the Applied Linear Analysis course?

To make the most out of your book for the Applied Linear Analysis course, it is important to read and understand the concepts thoroughly, practice solving problems and exercises, and seek help from your instructor or peers if you have any questions or difficulties. Additionally, you can also supplement your learning with online resources and videos related to the topics covered in the book.