Do SuperFluids respond to Magnetic Fields?

by BrianConlee
Tags: charge, magnetic field, movement, superconductivity, superfluid
theZenMonkey
May1-09, 12:13 AM
P: 1
while reading about your desire to control the spin of a superfluid, 3 things occurred to me that you might like to do some research into... here are 3 interesting questions I would like you to try and answer...

1: do superfluids conduct sound ?

2: could a longitudinal sound wave induce movement in a super fluid, like a pump ?

3: How with standing wave patterns and amplified resonance within the volume could I control the fluids speed and direction.

Let me know how you go "

theZenMonkey.
granpa
May1-09, 01:00 AM
P: 2,258
Quote Quote by olgranpappy View Post
No. There's a critcal flow velocity above which the fluid is not super. What exactly the critical velocity is depends on the excitations of the super fluid. Usually people begin discussions of the excitations by considering "phonons" and "rotons", but actually (if I remember correctly) it is the creation of vortex rings that is the limiting factor in determining the critical velocity.

As for your other questions... Regarding superconductivity try the book "Introduction to Superconductivity" by Tinkham. Regarding superfluids there is some discussion in Landau and Lifgarbagez "Statistical Mechanics II". Also for superfluids see "The Theory of Quantum Liquids Vol. II" by Pines and Nozieres.
does this just mean that the flow cant be turbulent?
granpa
May1-09, 01:05 AM
P: 2,258
Quote Quote by theZenMonkey View Post
while reading about your desire to control the spin of a superfluid, 3 things occurred to me that you might like to do some research into... here are 3 interesting questions I would like you to try and answer...

1: do superfluids conduct sound ?

2: could a longitudinal sound wave induce movement in a super fluid, like a pump ?

3: How with standing wave patterns and amplified resonance within the volume could I control the fluids speed and direction.

Let me know how you go "

theZenMonkey.
superfluids conduct sound and 'second sound'.

Register to reply