Limits to Superconductor Energy Storage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superconductors for energy storage and their limitations. Superconductors have a critical current and size limit for energy storage, and their strong magnetic fields make them impractical for home use. However, by using toroid loops, the external magnetic fields can be reduced. Cooling methods for superconductors have also evolved from using liquid helium to more efficient and less expensive options. Despite their advantages in rapid response, superconductors are still too expensive and complicated for home use, making normal batteries a more sensible option for households.
John Morrell
I'm just starting to learn about the physics behind Faraday's laws and magnetic flux and it's gotten me thinking a lot about superconductors. I know that you can store energy in a superconductor in the form of magnetic fields since a current in a superconducting loop will persist indefinitely. What are the drawbacks to this? I assume there must be some fairly low ceiling for how much energy we can store in them, or else their utility would more than make up for the inconvenience of keeping them cool...

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a critical current at which a material will cease to behave as a superconductor.
See http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/engineering-and-technology/engineering/superconductivity/content-section-2.5

Superconductors ARE used for energy storage; so-called SMES systems have been used commercially for a few years. The systems are very efficient but costly and are therefore mainly used for power conditioning; i.e. to avoid "brown outs"

The amount of energy you can store is limited by the critical current and the size of the superconducting coil; the former is a property of the material used and the latter is basically limited by geometry, there is a practical upper limited to the size because you need quite a lot of structural support in order to balance the forces created because of the magnetic field within the coil and at the same time you need to avoid exceeding the critical field of the material .

The strong magnetic fields generated by the currents would probably be impractical for home use.

I thought that at first as well but after researching a bit I saw that by making the loops toroids, the external magnetic fields can be pretty small.

John Morrell said:
I thought that at first as well but after researching a bit I saw that by making the loops toroids, the external magnetic fields can be pretty small.
but the arrangements for cooling extreme electromagents with liquid helium will not be small.

rootone said:
but the arrangements for cooling extreme electromagents with liquid helium will not be small.
Most modern systems do not use liquid helium; they use pulse-tubes or some other type of coolers which only require electricity (although they are quite noisy). Liquid helium is used less and less even in research labs because of the cost.

That said, all systems of this type are too expensive and too complicated for home use. The main advantage of these systems is how rapidly they can response and you do not need that for a normal home; normal batteries would make more sense for a house.

1. What are superconductors and how do they work?

Superconductors are materials that can conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below their critical temperature. This means that electric current can flow through them without any energy loss. Superconductors work by allowing electrons to move through the material without colliding with any obstacles, resulting in a lossless flow of electricity.

2. What is the potential of using superconductors for energy storage?

Superconductors have the potential to revolutionize energy storage by allowing for the storage of large amounts of energy in a small space. This is because they can store energy in the form of a magnetic field, which is much more efficient than traditional methods of energy storage such as batteries. Additionally, superconductors have the potential to store energy for longer periods of time without any loss.

3. What are the limitations of using superconductors for energy storage?

The main limitation of using superconductors for energy storage is the need for extremely low temperatures to maintain their superconducting state. This requires expensive and complex cooling systems, making it difficult to implement on a large scale. Additionally, superconductors are currently limited in the amount of energy they can store, so they may not be suitable for storing extremely large amounts of energy.

4. How do scientists and engineers overcome these limitations in superconductor energy storage?

Scientists and engineers are constantly researching and developing new materials and techniques to improve the efficiency and practicality of superconductor energy storage. This includes finding ways to increase the critical temperature of superconductors, reducing the need for extreme cooling, and finding ways to increase the amount of energy that can be stored in a superconducting system. They are also working on developing more cost-effective and scalable methods for implementing superconductors in energy storage systems.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to using superconductors for energy storage?

One potential risk of using superconductors for energy storage is the danger of power disruptions if the superconducting state is lost due to a sudden increase in temperature or other external factors. This could result in a loss of stored energy and potential damage to the system. Additionally, the high cost of implementing superconductors may make it difficult for them to be widely adopted for energy storage.