What Superconductor Can Have The Highest Magnetic Field Strength?

In summary, the conversation discussed the maximum magnetic field strength of superconducting materials before they are destroyed and the unit used to measure it. It was mentioned that cuprate high-temperature superconductors have the highest critical fields and that experiments using explosives have been used to study them. The concept of a "quench" and the limitations of maximum current and field were also explained. Finally, a link to an equation governing superconductivity was provided.
VictorMedvil
Hello, I asked a question about superconductors in 2020 and I was now wondering what superconducting chemical/material can have the highest magnetic field strength before the superconductivity is destroyed by it? Secondly, What the is maximum magnetic field strength of said material in Tesla per meter? I have heard that iron based superconductors(oxypnictides) are quite high are there any higher than those?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not really a well defined questions since type II superconductors actually have two critical fields.
That said, since you are asking about "destroying" superconductivity the answer will most likely be one of the cuprate high-temperature superconductors; as far as I know no one has actually managed to completely destroy superconductivity in a bulk sample, we can't generate fields that are strong enough. If you want you can look up experiments using explosives to generate strong magnetic fields, these have among other things been used to study cuprates).

Note also that the critical field depends on the geometry of the SC (for a number of reasons)

Also, the unit you want is Tesla. not Tesla per meter.

• Informative
Likes dRic2 and berkeman
f95toli said:
Also, the unit you want is Tesla. not Tesla per meter.
Really, I would have thought it would have been Tesla per meter because how much magnetic field strength over a distance of the superconducting wire, however if it just is Tesla that makes sense too because it's just a flat magnetic field strength for the entire wire which all sections would be the same. So, what would happen if you made Coils/Solenoid of the superconducting wire with N turns, where N was high along with I, wouldn't that increase B above the critical field? I guess you said it had never been done to where it was high enough to destroy superconductivity in a sample? The reason why I wonder this is because doesn't superconducting materials below Tc have a zero electrical resistance so you can run any value of I through it? I guess I'll read this until you answer this thread, link = https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-1-4899-6612-4_7

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Sure, if you try to use a superconducting solenoid to generate a magnetic field that is higher than the critical field of the superconductor the material will go normal which suddenly means that you have a lot of energy quickly being converted to heat (since the wire is now restive) ; this is known as a "quench".
One of the main challenges when designing superconducting solenoids is that they must be able to cope with a quench without a catastrophic failure (quenches are not uncommon)

If you buy a superconducting solenoid it will have a maximum field rating, exceeding this (by further increasing the current ) will inevitable cause it to quench.

Also, whereas it is true that superconductors have zero DC resistance, there is also a maximum amount of current you can pass before it goes normal, exceeding this current density (in A/m2) will cause it to go normal. Hence, superconductors are limited both in terms of the maximum current and maximum field (the two are -not surprisingly- related)

• Informative
Likes VictorMedvil
f95toli said:
Sure, if you try to use a superconducting solenoid to generate a magnetic field that is higher than the critical field of the superconductor the material will go normal which suddenly means that you have a lot of energy quickly being converted to heat (since the wire is now restive) ; this is known as a "quench".
One of the main challenges when designing superconducting solenoids is that they must be able to cope with a quench without a catastrophic failure (quenches are not uncommon)

If you buy a superconducting solenoid it will have a maximum field rating, exceeding this (by further increasing the current ) will inevitable cause it to quench.

Also, whereas it is true that superconductors have zero DC resistance, there is also a maximum amount of current you can pass before it goes normal, exceeding this current density (in A/m2) will cause it to go normal. Hence, superconductors are limited both in terms of the maximum current and maximum field (the two are -not surprisingly- related)
Alright well I don't have any further questions as I already know the equation that governs this(https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...urrent-and-magnetic-field-limitations.983567/), Thanks for the reply. I think this finally answers a dilemma I was having with superconductors.

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that has zero electrical resistance and can conduct electricity with near-perfect efficiency. It also exhibits the Meissner effect, meaning it can expel magnetic fields from its interior.

2. How is the strength of a superconductor's magnetic field measured?

The strength of a superconductor's magnetic field is measured in units of teslas (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equivalent to 10,000 gauss.

3. What determines the strength of a superconductor's magnetic field?

The strength of a superconductor's magnetic field is determined by its critical magnetic field, which is the maximum magnetic field that the superconductor can withstand before it loses its superconducting properties.

4. What is the highest magnetic field strength achieved by a superconductor?

The highest magnetic field strength achieved by a superconductor is currently 45.5 teslas, achieved by a niobium-tin (Nb3Sn) superconductor at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Florida, USA.

5. Is it possible to create a superconductor with a higher magnetic field strength?

Yes, it is possible to create a superconductor with a higher magnetic field strength. Scientists are continuously researching and developing new superconducting materials and techniques to increase the critical magnetic field and push the limits of what is possible.