Gauge Bosons.

by trv
Tags: bosons, gauge
trv
Apr23-09, 08:52 PM
P: 77
Quick question. If particles that mediate interactions are called gauge bosons, why isn't Pion considered a gauge boson. I'm pretty sure I've come across a few interactions mediated by it.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
hamster143
Apr23-09, 09:07 PM
P: 986
I think you could say that pion is a gauge boson of chiral symmetry.
malawi_glenn
Apr24-09, 12:13 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,739
yeah, but it has nothing to do with gauge there - rather you would say that it is a goldstone boson.

blechman
Apr24-09, 10:05 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 779

Gauge Bosons.

gauge bosons also have spin 1, while the goldstone boson is spin 0.

it's not right to think of gauge bosons as "particles that mediate interactions" - all particles can "mediate interactions" of a sort. It's called a gauge boson because the field has a "gauge symmetry" (just like the electromagnetic field).
trv
Apr26-09, 10:25 AM
P: 77
Just realised that the pion is a meson. So I assume now that the two aren't mutually exclusive. I.e. a meson can also be a boson, or at least a goldstone boson.
malawi_glenn
Apr26-09, 10:39 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 4,739
Quote Quote by trv View Post
Just realised that the pion is a meson. So I assume now that the two aren't mutually exclusive. I.e. a meson can also be a boson, or at least a goldstone boson.
You are mixing things up..

Boson is the opposite to fermion, a boson has integer spin, a fermion has half-integer spin.

Meson means that it is a strongly interacting particle with two valence quarks (one quark, and one anit-quark)

All Mesons are bosons, but not all bosons are mesons ...
kuon
May13-09, 04:27 PM
P: 23
If I remember correctly, pions are the pseudo-goldstone bosons when chiral symmetry is broken.
Bob_for_short
Jun2-09, 04:00 PM
P: 1,160
Quote Quote by kuon View Post
If I remember correctly, pions are the pseudo-goldstone bosons when chiral symmetry is broken.
I am sure I do not remember it correctly, but it seemed to me that pions were the gauge bosons of the isotopic symmetry group (Yang-Mills fields).

Bob_for_short.
blechman
Jun2-09, 05:13 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 779
Quote Quote by Bob_for_short View Post
I am sure I do not remember it correctly, but it seemed to me that pions were the gauge bosons of the isotopic symmetry group (Yang-Mills fields).

Bob_for_short.
No, that's wrong. The (strong) isospin symmetry group is a global symmetry, so there are no gauge bosons.

The pions are (pseudo) Nambu-Goldstone bosons of the strong isospin group.

Definitely not Yang-Mills.

Register to reply