For the W3 and B bosons, what is their hypercharge and isospin?

In summary, the W3 and B bosons have a hypercharge and isospin of 0, which allows them to mix to form the Z boson and photon. The W3 boson couples with left-handed particles and right-handed antiparticles according to their isospin, while the B boson couples with any particle according to their hypercharge. Both bosons do not change the momentum of particles they couple with, but instead transfer momentum between particles. The B boson does not change the hypercharge of particles it couples with, but this is not surprising as particles are not solely right or left handed and their wavefunction is a combination of both possibilities.
Frigorifico9
TL;DR Summary
The values of Hypercharge and Isospin for the W3 and B bosons of the Electroweak force
In wikipedia you can find this neat tables with the hypercharge and isospin of a ton of particles and bosons.

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 12.42.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 12.42.35 PM.png

What I want to know is: what are the values of Isospin and Hypercharge for the W3 and B bosons?

Now, I know electroweak unification, don't worry about that. I know W3 and B got mixed together according to the weak mixing angle to create the Z and the photon. I understand that part.

My point is that those bosons must have some values of hypercharge and isospin and I want to know what they are. I suspect they are 0 because the Z and the photon both have isospin and hypercharge of 0, but maybe not, that's one of the reasons I'm curious about this.

Thanks

Edit:

I figured it out. In case you are googling this same question and you came across this post here it is:

Both indeed have 0 hypercharge and 0 isospin. The difference is that W3 couples with left handed particles or right handed antiparticles according with their isospin and changes their momentum. Meanwhile B couples with any particle according to their hypercharge and also changes their momentum.

I was confused about B coupling with particles according to their hypercharge because it changes with handedness, but it's not that weird, you just have to remember that no particle is solely right or left handed, rather their wavefunction is a sum of both possibilities. Also B doesn't change the hypercharge of any particle but it doesn't have to, the photons transfer momentum between charged particles without itself having electric charge

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
They have the same quantum numbers as the photon and Z boson. If they did not, they could not mix to form those states.

Likes ohwilleke and vanhees71

1. What is the hypercharge of the W3 and B bosons?

The hypercharge of the W3 boson is 0, while the hypercharge of the B boson is -1.

2. What is the isospin of the W3 and B bosons?

The isospin of the W3 boson is 1, while the isospin of the B boson is 0.

3. How do the hypercharge and isospin of the W3 and B bosons affect their interactions?

The hypercharge and isospin of the W3 and B bosons determine how they interact with other particles. They are important in the electroweak interaction, which describes the behavior of these bosons and their interactions with other particles.

4. Are the hypercharge and isospin of the W3 and B bosons conserved?

Yes, the hypercharge and isospin of the W3 and B bosons are conserved in interactions. This means that the total hypercharge and isospin before and after an interaction must be the same.

5. How were the hypercharge and isospin of the W3 and B bosons determined?

The hypercharge and isospin of the W3 and B bosons were determined through experiments and observations of their interactions with other particles. Theoretical models, such as the Standard Model, also play a role in determining these properties.