File that cannot be deleted

by mathman
Tags: deleted, file
Share this thread:
mathman
Feb17-11, 04:49 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,106
Recently I discovered a file (dated Feb. 13, 2011, time 8:07 P.M. (EST)) that cannot be deleted and does not respond to any commands, such as move, rename, open, etc. I have "unlocker assistant", but it doesn't work here.

The date stamp corresponds to a time when I was surfing Physics Forum and "physics form" is part of the file name. From what I was able to deduce I was in the General Math forum at that time. I believe I was looking at a question where there was a link to another file, which had to opened by "Open Office", so I presume I was looking at the linked file. Since then, that particular question no longer appears in the forum.

Any suggestions - I just want to get rid of it.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
MATLABdude
Feb17-11, 08:07 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,724
Is this in Windows, Linux, or OS X? In general, you may be able to get rid of the file by clearing your cache (and forms, and downloaded files, etc. in whichever browser it is that you use (sorry for the broad stroke, but there's not so much to work with here!) If it persists, you may have to use the CS solution (i.e. reboot the machine, and then try again--sometimes you end up with odd sharing / file locking violations that prevent files from being touched).
Borg
Feb18-11, 03:43 AM
PF Gold
P: 784
If you're on Windows and really desperate to delete it, you could try booting up in Safe Mode. The file is probably being used by something that is always running in the background. Booting in Safe Mode will keep them from starting so that they can't grab and hold the files.

Jobrag
Feb18-11, 07:19 AM
P: 478
File that cannot be deleted

If you are running windows, get a LINUX boot disc, start in LINUX remove the file and then restart in windows.
mathman
Feb18-11, 04:59 PM
Sci Advisor
My operating system is Windows XP. In general if a file is locked because something is using it, "unlocker assistant" will handle it. In this case, when trying to do anything with the file, the computer acts as if it is not there. For example, "properties" gives me a complete blank, including 0 file length, although windows explorer gives it a length.
Borg
Feb18-11, 06:43 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mathman View Post
My operating system is Windows XP. In general if a file is locked because something is using it, "unlocker assistant" will handle it. In this case, when trying to do anything with the file, the computer acts as if it is not there. For example, "properties" gives me a complete blank, including 0 file length, although windows explorer gives it a length.
Ah. A mystery file. Have you tried creating a file with the same name and then try to delete it? I have seen the OS get confused on a rare occasion thinking that a file is there when it isn't. The other thing that I would do is to search the registry to see if it's referenced there.
rcgldr
Feb18-11, 06:56 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,176
Try logging in as a different user and deleting the file. On my system, I have multiple hard drives, with a second instance of Windows installed on one of of the "other" hard drives. I boot into that for doing backups and if needed restores of the primary OS partitions. The second OS could also be used to delete files that the primary OS won't delete.
JaredJames
Feb19-11, 12:22 AM
P: 3,387
I've had this problem before. Windows can't touch it and sometimes throws up errors for it.

The only way to remove it was to boot in Linux. Even a fresh install of Windows couldn't touch it.
mathman
Feb20-11, 04:44 PM
Sci Advisor
I tried safe mode and I got the same result (file can't be touched). I have no desire to do anything drastic, so if there is no relatively easy solution, I'll just leave it there.
JaredJames
Feb20-11, 04:46 PM
I tried safe mode and I got the same result (file can't be touched). I have no desire to do anything drastic, so if there is no relatively easy solution, I'll just leave it there.
Download the ubuntu image from their website (main page).

Burn it to disc and boot from it. You can try out the OS without installing it, run it from the disc.

Using this you can see your windows files and delete it.

This should take an hour tops and most of that is because of downloading (20 minutes without download time).
Chronos
Feb21-11, 10:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,488
Try system restore. Use a restore point before the problem occured. This is effective against most viruses. I use two disc drives to prevent cross contamination of restore points. A worst case solution is to reformat your hard drive. Again, you need a second hard drive to make it less painful. Copy your non-system files you wish to save to the other drive. i have yet to hear of a bug that can't be killed that way, but, you need a second drive for this fix.
JaredJames
Feb22-11, 04:56 AM
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
This is effective against most viruses.
Unless the virus implants itself in there, which a lot of the new ones do.

Also, system restore doesn't affect your personal files. So it probably wouldn't touch this folder.
mathman
Feb22-11, 04:10 PM
Sci Advisor
File has path C:\Documents and Settings\Herb\Local Settings\Temp\(file name)

I'm Herb
JaredJames
Feb22-11, 04:13 PM

I'm Herb
The file path is meaningless to us. You really need to try some of the solutions offered.

Again, I recommend you try the Linux boot disc method.
Borg
Feb22-11, 06:20 PM
PF Gold

I'm Herb
Just curious. What's the filename? Have you Googled it?
rcgldr
Feb22-11, 07:04 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,176
In that case, logging on as another admistrator user should allow you to delete any files related to "Herb".
Pattonias
Feb22-11, 07:34 PM
P: 378
Have you tried using disk clean up? It should have an option to clean the Temp folder. If it doesn't need it in there, it will delete it. Is there any particular reason you need to delete it?

It may be the internet cache for that user, you could clear the cache in the browser and that may delete all the content of the file/folder.
mathman
Feb23-11, 03:56 PM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by rcgldr View Post
In that case, logging on as another admistrator user should allow you to delete any files related to "Herb".
When I tried the safe mode, I said I was the administrator, but it didn't do any good.

Register to reply