Photo Contest - Magnetism (3/2-3/8)

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of the new project proposal. The team discussed the main objectives and the timeline for completion. They also addressed potential challenges and assigned tasks to each member. Overall, the team is excited about the project and confident in their abilities to successfully execute it.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Magnetism

Hey, after all, this IS the Physics Forums! :-p

This week, the main subject of your photo must show something that has a magnetic field, or with the designed purpose of producing a magnetic field. So a permanent magnet or a solenoid will qualify. A clear depiction of a MRI facility also qualifies. A power generating turbine? Why not? A dynamo? Even better!

Please make sure that the subject can easily be recognized as having a magnetic field or is designed to produce a magnetic field.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 800 x 600 or 600 x 800 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. Alternatively, you may simply upload your image file to PF, and then have the full image displayed in your post.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. The photo of the subject must be something that you took directly, not via in intermediary medium, and not taken by someone else. Unless otherwise noted, a photo of another photo, painting, print, etc. does not qualify.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread. Photos not meant for submission must not be posted in the contest thread. Posting of more than one photos by a member may result in an automatic disqualification from the week's contest.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
magnetism---1.jpg

Attachments

• magnetism---1.jpg
    magnetism---1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 398
Likes berkeman, AlexCaledin and davenn
One of the four loudspeakers in a dusty, old, Fender Super Reverb tube guitar amplifier:
47212742772_e4865c7d71_c.jpg

Attachments

• 47212742772_e4865c7d71_c.jpg
    47212742772_e4865c7d71_c.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 381
Likes Klystron, morrobay, jim hardy and 4 others
upload_2019-3-3_14-51-28.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-3_14-51-28.png
    upload_2019-3-3_14-51-28.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 349
Likes Klystron, morrobay, AlexCaledin and 2 others
From an unstable voltage stabiliser lying in my house, waiting for my surgery:

20190303_210012.jpg

Attachments

• 20190303_210012.jpg
    20190303_210012.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 379
Likes morrobay, jim hardy, AlexCaledin and 1 other person
ZapperZ said:
A dynamo? Even better!
Ask and ye shall receive...

photoContest_Magnetism_Resized.jpg

Old Dynamo
It's at the hydro power plant in Georgetown Colorado

nameplate says
Crocker-Wheeler Electric Co
Ampere NJ USA
Pat'd May 5, 1891
3 H.P. Size 3 C No. 817
R.P.M. 975 Volts 230 Amps 12
have photo of nameplate if anyone is curious
old jim

Attachments

• photoContest_Magnetism_Resized.jpg
    photoContest_Magnetism_Resized.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Likes Klystron, davenn, morrobay and 5 others
Weird, with each new post I feel more attracted to this thread.

Likes OmCheeto, davenn, AlexCaledin and 2 others
DennisN said:
Weird, with each new post I feel more attracted to this thread.

... a "Man of Steel" ?

Likes Klystron, OmCheeto, DennisN and 3 others
IMG_20190304_111155.jpg

Repulsive force between two face polarized circular magnets

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_111155.jpg
    IMG_20190304_111155.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 593
Likes Klystron, davenn, kuruman and 1 other person
morrobay said:
View attachment 239714
Repulsive force between two face polarized circular magnets
Are you sure it's repulsive and not attractive? :smile:

Likes AlexCaledin
kuruman said:
Are you sure it's repulsive and not attractive? :smile:
The attractive part cannot be seen!

Likes Klystron and AlexCaledin
fresh_42 said:
The attractive part cannot be seen!
Precisely my point!

marcin_magnetism.jpg

Attachments

• marcin_magnetism.jpg
    marcin_magnetism.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 522
Likes Klystron, berkeman, phinds and 6 others
F5F3AF23-4303-428F-98A3-0F4FBEDB79FE.jpeg

Attachments

• F5F3AF23-4303-428F-98A3-0F4FBEDB79FE.jpeg
    F5F3AF23-4303-428F-98A3-0F4FBEDB79FE.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 294
Likes Wrichik Basu and DennisN
Borek said:
A very nice photo! I see many poles on a photo taken by a Pole. A monopole?

Likes berkeman and Borek
Final day to submit your photo for this contest.

Zz.

Windings of a quadrupole magnet for electron beam focusing.

IMG_5847.JPG

Zz.

Attachments

• IMG_5847.JPG
    IMG_5847.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 280
Likes Klystron, morrobay, BillTre and 2 others
ZapperZ said:
a quadrupole magnet for electron beam focusing.
That's an interesting one

comparing to old fashioned TV deflection yokes
and thinking of Right Hand Rule
i can't quite envision the field at center
sum of the external fields from the four solenoids i'd surmise ?

Aha! perhaps the focus coil is that brass ring shaped structure behind the four flat coils ? It would produce an axial B field...

Thought provoking apparatus there, ZZ !

Likes berkeman
jim hardy said:
Maybe it's a bit like this?

Likes jim hardy
jim hardy said:
That's an interesting one

comparing to old fashioned TV deflection yokes
and thinking of Right Hand Rule
sum of the external fields from the four solenoids i'd surmise ?

Aha! perhaps the focus coil is that brass ring shaped structure behind the four flat coils ? It would produce an axial B field...

Thought provoking apparatus there, ZZ !

I somehow knew that there would be questions about this when I posted it.

I didn't show the entire "magnet" complex. There is a set of quadrupole magnets not shown here, and I mischaracterized the one shown. This is the last magnet in the entire complex, and it is actually a steering magnet.

The brass "ring" is an ICT to measure the charge in each bunch going through the beam pipe.

Zz.

Likes Wrichik Basu and jim hardy
ZapperZ said:
ICT to measure the charge in each bunch going through the beam pipe.
ICT ? Some form of Current Transformer ?

ZapperZ said:
it is actually a steering magnet.

That makes sense - Thank You !

Aha Found it
Integrating Current Transformer
http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/AccelConf/IBIC2014/papers/wepf06.

seems a cousin to Rogowski Coil

Love the variety of hings i learn about here !

Likes Klystron and Wrichik Basu
da45e34a-0f95-47b7-b615-8f272d7ebb9c-original.jpg

MR fluid in a magnetic field.

Attachments

• da45e34a-0f95-47b7-b615-8f272d7ebb9c-original.jpg
    da45e34a-0f95-47b7-b615-8f272d7ebb9c-original.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 285
Likes AlexCaledin, jtbell, jim hardy and 3 others
Useful magnetic mouse.
fullsizeoutput_fbb.jpeg
ic

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_fbb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fbb.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 592
Likes AlexCaledin and DennisN
The home made AM radio transmitter I designed to create magnetic field covering the whole apartment, received by any radio with the "middle wave" band. The frequency is 615 kHz, as marked on the bulb-like quartz resonator. The big chocolate colored capacitor (10 nF) is tuning the wire loop to that frequency.

magnet5307.jpg

Attachments

• magnet5307.jpg
    magnet5307.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Likes Klystron, morrobay, Wrichik Basu and 1 other person
epenguin said:
Useful magnetic mouse.View attachment 239965 ic

Once again, your photo exceeds the size limit of our contest, and will not be included in the poll.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Once again, your photo exceeds the size limit of our contest, and will not be included in the poll.

Zz.

:blushing: Sorry, it looked just like the others on my screen but now I am seeing when I click on it it enlarges and the others don't. I will have to return to the external hosting system since the seemingly convenient PF upload does this. (Unless there is some trick I am missing.)

epenguin said:
(Unless there is some trick I am missing.)
I copy them into Paint
then use paint's "Resize" button . It shows you height and width in either % or actual pixels.
When it'll fit i save as (name)_Resized.jpg and upload that copy.

old jm

Likes Borg
jim hardy said:
I copy them into Paint
then use paint's "Resize" button . It shows you height and width in either % or actual pixels.
When it'll fit i save as (name)_Resized.jpg and upload that copy.

old jm

fullsizeoutput_fbb.jpeg

Well thank you. Firstly is this okay now? It is now smaller than the others. That was not intentional.

My computer skills level is lower basement. I thought Paint?? I seemed to have heard the word before.
The nearest thing I could find to it was this https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/resize-images-mac-3689216/#toc-3689216-1

1. Locate the image (either using the Finder, or on your Desktop).
  2. Double click on the image - this should open the image in Preview, if it doesn’t, close it and right click to choose Open With and select Preview.
  3. Click on Tools.
You never remember everything you did, but basically most of those things did not work, the finder didn't find, double-clicks and right clicks did nothing and I looked like losing my whole photo library on the way but apart from that small inconvenience :oldeek: :oldsmile: ... somehow or other I got the image into Preview tools I think somehow. Don't think I could control the size of the picture but I could give the number of pixels, the required 800X600. However I have no way of checking this has worked, Info on the picture does not tell me Pixels.

I think I must return to my hosting by tinypic, it is simple to use and worked in the past. Only trouble with it is I think they delete your stuff if you don't go there for a month so sooner or later I will lose everything there; other hosting sites I have dabbled with are complicated hassle to learn, and I'm sure soon as I did it I would get the hated upgrade and I wouldn't be able to work it any more. Please excuse Luddite Guttenberger rant.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_fbb.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fbb.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 239
epenguin said:
Only trouble with it is I think they delete your stuff if you don't go there for a month so sooner or later I will lose everything there; o

Yep i have to log into photobucket periodically as well. They're increasing the pressure to buy a subscription .

epenguin said:
I thought Paint?? I seemed to have heard the word before.
OOPS MSPaint that comes with Windows is what i use. It's primitive but then so am i..

epenguin said:
Please excuse Luddite Guttenberger rant.

Glad to learn I'm not alone in that self assessment...
i simply 'copied your image to clipboard' (Windows terms) then pasted it into MSPaint
then clicked on Paint menu "Resize" and selected "Pixels"
and here's what it showed me.

upload_2019-3-9_18-48-5.png

I have no idea if it's 716 by 600 on your computer, or in PF's copy for that matter

but that's how i prepare pictures when they must be of certain size in pixels..
Surely MAC has something analogous to Microsoft's Paint.

Good Luck !

old jim

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-9_18-48-5.png
    upload_2019-3-9_18-48-5.png
    68.6 KB · Views: 256
For what it's worth : I take photo with phone and send to my email. Then on a standard internet computer from inboxed photo I download photo and upload to reply page here.

On our PC, we have installed IrfanView. It offers more functionality than MS paint, and is easy to use as well.

@epenguin You can try out www.picresize.com for photo compression. I often use it from my phone, since I don't have a photo editor app. The site offers basic photo compression and resizing functionality, and works well.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is magnetism. This means that the photos submitted should capture the concept of magnetism in some way.

2. Can I submit more than one photo?

Yes, you can submit up to three photos for the photo contest. However, please make sure that each photo is unique and meets the theme of the contest.

3. Is there a specific format or size requirement for the photos?

There is no specific format or size requirement for the photos. However, we recommend submitting high-quality photos in a standard image format (e.g. JPEG, PNG) for the best chance of winning.

4. Who can participate in the photo contest?

The photo contest is open to everyone, regardless of age, location, or profession. We encourage anyone with an interest in photography and magnetism to participate!

5. How will the winners be selected?

The winners will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and relevance to the theme of magnetism. The decision of the judges will be final.