Register to reply

Do we swallow insects and spiders in our sleep?

by Dremmer
Tags: insects, sleep, spiders, swallow
Share this thread:
Dremmer
Mar31-11, 02:05 PM
P: 86
Is it true that we swallow insects and spiders when we're sleeping?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
Collaboration drives achievement in protein structure research
Pythagorean
Mar31-11, 02:18 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,292
I've heard this stated as a statistic before, but I've only heard it "on the street".

Something like: Every person's mouth, on average, gets about seven rodents/spiders/insect visits a year.

I'm curious if it's true, too. Somehow I doubt there's a trustworthy number associated with it. You'd have to do sleep studies all year round in somebody's house (as opposed to a controlled environment).
Ryan_m_b
Mar31-11, 02:25 PM
Mentor
P: 5,490
There's never been any real study on it as far as I can tell, such a statistic would differ not only from country to country but from house to house. Searching around different websites shows many that have people asking 'is it true' and 'where did that statistic come from' but nothing is forthcoming. It strongly sounds like an urban myth, spiders don't exactly roam the bedroom only at night and I would find it extremely odd if one thought crawling into a breathing wet hole was a good idea.

JaredJames
Mar31-11, 03:02 PM
P: 3,387
Do we swallow insects and spiders in our sleep?

Quote Quote by ryan_m_b View Post
I would find it extremely odd if one thought crawling into a breathing wet hole was a good idea.
Depends how thirsty you are...

I have no doubt it happens (come on, 6 billion on the planet and you're going to tell me no one has ever had a bug crawl in their mouth during sleep?), but I can't say I'm convinced by the whole 'statistics' side of things.
Ryan_m_b
Mar31-11, 03:14 PM
Mentor
Lol I was hardly suggesting that out of all 6 billion people currently living and the tens of billions that have lived before that no-one has eaten a spider in their sleep! I really can't see that being a regular behaviour for most spiders however
JaredJames
Mar31-11, 03:17 PM
Lol I was hardly suggesting that out of all 6 billion people currently living and the tens of billions that have lived before that no-one has eaten a spider in their sleep! I really can't see that being a regular behaviour for most spiders however
Well you'd think after one get's stuck in the bath they'd start to learn - but hey, looks like they just ain't that clever.

Personally, although I have nothing against them, I don't make a habit of allowing them to remain in the house.
Ryan_m_b
Mar31-11, 03:27 PM
Mentor
Me neither, I'm not too tolerant of things with more than 4 legs....
JaredJames
Mar31-11, 03:28 PM
Me neither, I'm not too tolerant of things with more than 4 legs....
Even then, I'm only allowing 2 max in the house at any one time!
jim mcnamara
Mar31-11, 03:43 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,386
http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomp.../ucm056174.htm

Check the wheat flour line near the bottom.

This data is the expected insect frass and body parts in food. Most people are not aware of this. On the whole I'd worry about this concept more than some statistic garnered from the ether. 50g of flour is a few slices of bread....
Proton Soup
Mar31-11, 09:53 PM
P: 1,070
i'm skeptical of swallowing spiders in my sleep. i had one actually wake me up from my sleep. and the reaction was visceral. i jumped out of bed, immediately turned the lights on, chased it down and killed it. and that is with me being a deep sleeper, slow riser, and no real fear of spiders. it's as if there is an interrupt somewhere running a "bug crawling on skin" subroutine, and it has full override.
Pythagorean
Apr1-11, 12:08 AM
PF Gold
But how many times have you woken up (after brushing the night before) with some strange taste in your mouth and not realized it was a mostly digested insect that you mowed on in your sleep?

I really can't see that being a regular behaviour for most spiders however
insects + spiders.

It doesn't need to be regular behavior. Most people have a lot of insects and spiders living near and migrating through their living area over the years (whether they notice them or not); You're bound to have irregular behavior in a large enough population.

Also, factor in carbon-dioxide seeking insects (such as mosquitoes, my state bird)

Not that I think it happens to everybody seven times a year, though...
Pythagorean
Apr1-11, 12:15 AM
PF Gold
Here's the spider one: false

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.asp
Ryan_m_b
Apr1-11, 05:03 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
There have been investigations of this claim and as far as can be told it seems made up. There is no PC Processional magazine and no Lisa Holst, very odd really that the debunk has been debunked.

http://www.eightspiders.com/2008/08/...t-spiders.html

Register to reply