Have You Spotted These Giant Joro Spiders in Your Area?

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
In summary: These spiders are much larger, growing to 2 inches in diameter or more. They have a yellow stripe down their backs, and their webs are much thicker and less elongated in shape than the webs of the Golden Orbweavers.The spiders are not harmful, but they are not the prettiest things in the world. Their webs can be quite large and intrusive, and they can be a bit of a nuisance if they are found in your yard.
BWV
apologies for the clickbaity title, the Asian Joro spider, a relative of the native golden orb weaver, has been spreading from GA for about a decade. The spiders thrive in Japan's temperate climate, which means they can eventually spread throughout the US, unlike the Golden Orb Weaver, which is limited to the humid and warm Southeast. The spiders are harmless and beautiful -anyone seen one in their area?

adult-female-joro-spiders-can-sometimes-reach-3-in.jpg

more info at:
https://extension.psu.edu/joro-spiders

Jorō spiders do not have medically important bites. The fangs of jorō spiders are small and have difficulty piercing human skin. The spiders themselves are reluctant biters and it can be difficult to make them bite you even when the spiders are handled. The venom is weak, so when bites do occur they are less painful than a bee sting and only produce localized pain and redness that dissipates quickly without intervention. The author could not find any published reports of allergic reactions associated with jorō spider bites, although some people may be allergic to the venom.

This is the native Golden Orb Weaver, can see the difference in coloration:

trichonephila-clavipes.jpg

• Wow
Likes hutchphd, GCUEasilyDistracted, BillTre and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
I've never seen a joro.
If it has a well-formed web with a long zig zag, it's the common Argiope (Garden Spider).
So look for much thinner web.

Likes BWV
.Scott said:
I've never seen a joro.
If it has a well-formed web with a long zig zag, it's the common Argiope (Garden Spider).
So look for much thinner web.
And much bigger - the Trichonephila genus (Joro and Golden Orb Weaver) webs can be 10+ feet in diameter

BWV said:
And much bigger - the Trichonephila genus (Joro and Golden Orb Weaver) webs can be 10+ feet in diameter
That is bigger. I've seen an Argiope web span a four-foot wide path through a field - completely blocking it - because who wants to destroy that kind of art.

Went out to a park outside of Houston, was looking for some Golden Orbweavers, but instead found these Argiope:

42348-F25-B00-D-4910-8363-CABE3-F0080-FC.jpg

F731-DEEA-8885-4-E26-8-C1-B-0511-F5270-F8-B.jpg

97-EA539-D-908-C-4928-B836-5-D93-B0-C8716-E.jpg

Likes BillTre

What are Joro spiders?

Joro spiders, scientifically known as Trichonephila clavata, are a species of large, colorful spiders that are native to East Asia. They have become notable for their distinctive yellow, blue, and red markings on their bodies and their impressive web size, which can span several feet in diameter.

Are Joro spiders dangerous to humans?

No, Joro spiders are not considered dangerous to humans. While they can bite if provoked, their venom is not harmful to humans and is primarily used to subdue their prey. The bite may cause slight irritation or redness but generally poses no serious health risks.

How did Joro spiders come to be in areas outside their native range?

Joro spiders have been expanding their presence outside of Asia, particularly in the United States, likely due to human activities such as the transport of goods. They are often found in shipping containers or other vehicles that facilitate their unintentional spread across continents.

What impact do Joro spiders have on the local ecosystem?

The impact of Joro spiders on local ecosystems is still under study, but they are known to be both predators and prey within their ecological niches. They help control insect populations, which can be beneficial, but there is concern about competition with native spider species and the broader ecological impacts.

How can I safely remove Joro spiders if I find them in my home or garden?

If you find Joro spiders in your home or garden and wish to remove them, it is best to do so gently and without harming them. You can capture them using a jar and a piece of cardboard and then release them at a considerable distance from your home. Avoid crushing or injuring the spiders, as they play a beneficial role in controlling pests.

Back