Minimum amount of sleep per night for 4 months

In summary, if you are okay with the idea of having less sleep than what is generally considered healthy, then you are unlikely to have long-term negative impacts. However, if you are uncomfortable with this, then you should probably seek medical advice.
Hamiltonian
TL;DR Summary
side effects of 4-6 hours of sleep for 4-5 months, on a 17 year old, male with no major current health conditions.
I am a 17 year old male with no major health conditions. I want to know if there will be any long term effects of less sleep(and practically no sleep schedule) ranging from anywhere between 4-5 hours a night(sprinkled with occasional all-nighters) for a period of 4-5 months.
a quick google search reveals:
1619802349160.png

these side effects are understandable, but the following seem a bit excessive (especially "early death")
1619802420683.png

study on risk of diabetes due to less sleep:
1619802739945.png

this study was conducted on participants much older than me so i don't think these side effects will apply to me(will it?).
the study on relation between number of sleep hours and mortality were conducted over long periods and again am unsure if it will apply to me(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2864873/ ).

the amount of sleep required varies from person to person, on that front: i am not going to be doing anything remotely athletic and am practically just going to sit in one spot all day.
In short is there a high probability of developing any major health conditions in the next few months due to lack of sleep?

PS:I hope my question doesn't sound silly, we all know an average of 7-8 hours is healthy.

Attachments

• 1619802710446.png
    1619802710446.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 95
Biology news on Phys.org
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
In short is there a high probability of developing any major health conditions in the next few months due to lack of sleep?

No, but I can't see any reason to purposefully get 4-5 hours of sleep per night for such a long period of time. Your lack of sleep will impede everything in your life and the extra time you gain by not sleeping is wasted by reduced mental and physical performance.

It's just not worth it.

Likes Wrichik Basu and phyzguy
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
Summary:: side effects of 4-6 hours of sleep for 4-5 months, on a 17 year old, male with no major current health conditions.

i am not going to be doing anything remotely athletic and am practically just going to sit in one spot all day.
That is demonstrably unhealthful in and of itself.

Likes phyzguy
Ugh! One wonders why you would consider doing this to yourself. Both the lack of sleep and the lack of physical activity will be very detrimental to your health. Will you die? Probably not. Will you feel good? I doubt it.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Since the OP is asking for medical advice: see a health care provider. He will likely tell you to avoid your plan. However. We do not give medical advice. Thread closed.

I can say that sleep deprivation for 6 months is not likely to have major impacts - long term. That is: If you survive intact during your deprivation period. This is not a joke.

Why? the probability of you in sleep deprivation mode having a debilitating accident (like falling asleep while driving or riding a bike) is increased by a large factor.

People working an extra 40 hour shift, for example, have unacceptably higher rates for job related accidents overall compared with folks who work only 40 hours/week. Some workplaces actually reject job candidates who apply with a current 40 hour/week job when that candidate applies for additional shift work.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the recommended minimum amount of sleep per night for a 4-month-old?

The American Academy of Sleep Medicine recommends that infants between the ages of 4-12 months get 12-16 hours of sleep per day, including naps. This breaks down to about 9-12 hours of nighttime sleep and 3-4 hours of daytime naps.

2. Why is it important for a 4-month-old to get a certain amount of sleep per night?

Sleep is crucial for a baby's growth and development, both physically and mentally. Adequate sleep helps with brain development, learning, and memory consolidation. It also plays a role in regulating emotions and behavior, as well as supporting the immune system.

3. What are the consequences of not getting enough sleep at 4 months of age?

If a 4-month-old does not get enough sleep, it can lead to irritability, difficulty focusing, and poor feeding habits. It may also increase the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and other sleep-related issues.

4. How can I ensure my 4-month-old is getting enough sleep each night?

Establish a consistent bedtime routine and create a sleep-friendly environment for your baby. This includes a dark and quiet room, a comfortable temperature, and a safe sleeping space. Also, pay attention to your baby's sleep cues and try to put them to bed when they are drowsy but still awake.

5. Can a 4-month-old sleep too much at night?

Yes, it is possible for a 4-month-old to sleep too much at night. If they are consistently sleeping more than 16 hours per day, it may be a sign of an underlying health issue. It is important to consult with a pediatrician if you have concerns about your baby's sleep habits.