Is there any way to know what program has visited which disk and when?

by Alex_Sanders
Tags: disk, program, visited
Alex_Sanders
Jul31-11, 07:02 AM
P: 80
Call me paranoid if you will, but is there any handy tool that keep a track or can find out what program that has a possibility/ability of internet connection, has visited what directory by what time?

It could be a stand alone software, could be something that comes with windows. Does anybody knows any?

I have scanned my system disk and it always comes clean, but I think it is wise to be vigilant... all the time.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
Pattonias
Jul31-11, 02:27 PM
P: 378
I believe that if you set your security settings high enough only those programs included on the exception list will be given access to the internet. Correct me if I am wrong.
Borg
Jul31-11, 04:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 728
Quote Quote by Alex_Sanders View Post
Call me paranoid if you will, but is there any handy tool that keep a track or can find out what program that has a possibility/ability of internet connection, has visited what directory by what time?

It could be a stand alone software, could be something that comes with windows. Does anybody knows any?

I have scanned my system disk and it always comes clean, but I think it is wise to be vigilant... all the time.
Do you mean a firewall? If a program attempts to connect to the internet, it will alert you and you can decide whether to let it connect. I use a free version of ZoneAlarm and it works very well.

Alex_Sanders
Jul31-11, 06:17 PM

Is there any way to know what program has visited which disk and when?

Quote Quote by Pattonias View Post
I believe that if you set your security settings high enough only those programs included on the exception list will be given access to the internet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you are correct, however I still feel there may be trojans sophisticate enough to by pass my firewall undetected, or inject itself into other legit program. And I don't think it my concern has no reality basis.
Alex_Sanders
Jul31-11, 06:20 PM
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
Do you mean a firewall? If a program attempts to connect to the internet, it will alert you and you can decide whether to let it connect. I use a free version of ZoneAlarm and it works very well.
ZA is an excellent firewall, but glitches pretty bad sometimes.
-Job-
Aug3-11, 01:02 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,132
For Windows check Sysinternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb545027). While i don't know of an app that will yield a report of disk access by app there should be some Utilities that allow you to obtain information on a running process, such as open ports and file handles.
256bits
Aug3-11, 05:56 PM
P: 1,260
there is also Process Monitor
rhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

And a little bit of a tutorial
http://ask-leo.com/i_have_constant_d..._doing_it.html

Register to reply