Register to reply

Is there any way to know what program has visited which disk and when?

by Alex_Sanders
Tags: disk, program, visited
Share this thread:
Alex_Sanders
Jul31-11, 07:02 AM
P: 80
Call me paranoid if you will, but is there any handy tool that keep a track or can find out what program that has a possibility/ability of internet connection, has visited what directory by what time?

It could be a stand alone software, could be something that comes with windows. Does anybody knows any?

I have scanned my system disk and it always comes clean, but I think it is wise to be vigilant... all the time.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Pattonias
Jul31-11, 02:27 PM
P: 378
I believe that if you set your security settings high enough only those programs included on the exception list will be given access to the internet. Correct me if I am wrong.
Borg
Jul31-11, 04:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 759
Quote Quote by Alex_Sanders View Post
Call me paranoid if you will, but is there any handy tool that keep a track or can find out what program that has a possibility/ability of internet connection, has visited what directory by what time?

It could be a stand alone software, could be something that comes with windows. Does anybody knows any?

I have scanned my system disk and it always comes clean, but I think it is wise to be vigilant... all the time.
Do you mean a firewall? If a program attempts to connect to the internet, it will alert you and you can decide whether to let it connect. I use a free version of ZoneAlarm and it works very well.

Alex_Sanders
Jul31-11, 06:17 PM
Is there any way to know what program has visited which disk and when?

Quote Quote by Pattonias View Post
I believe that if you set your security settings high enough only those programs included on the exception list will be given access to the internet. Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you are correct, however I still feel there may be trojans sophisticate enough to by pass my firewall undetected, or inject itself into other legit program. And I don't think it my concern has no reality basis.
Alex_Sanders
Jul31-11, 06:20 PM
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
Do you mean a firewall? If a program attempts to connect to the internet, it will alert you and you can decide whether to let it connect. I use a free version of ZoneAlarm and it works very well.
ZA is an excellent firewall, but glitches pretty bad sometimes.
-Job-
Aug3-11, 01:02 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,132
For Windows check Sysinternals (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb545027). While i don't know of an app that will yield a report of disk access by app there should be some Utilities that allow you to obtain information on a running process, such as open ports and file handles.
256bits
Aug3-11, 05:56 PM
P: 1,424
there is also Process Monitor
rhttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

And a little bit of a tutorial
http://ask-leo.com/i_have_constant_d..._doing_it.html

Register to reply