Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter

In summary, the computer does not recognize the tablet, but it is noted as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in the device manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers. However, if the tablet is put into "debug" mode, it may be able to be accessed via USB.
triley
Problem: Tablet is not detectable by computers. Yet... it is noted as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in the device manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

no-drive-letter-2021-03-18-11_31_17-device-manager.jpg

I have already done the basic 30 articles reading and tried the standard suggestions including:
  • Try a new USB connection (wire, computer, etc).;
  • uninstall the device,
  • update drivers,
  • download drivers,
  • use disk manager to set a drive letter,
  • use file recovery software.

In fact, disk manager does not see it.
The file recovery software does not see it.

The only thing that sees it is the USB Serial Bus controller; and that says "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". So... it knows it exits, yet drive management tools can not seem to detect it. Today, after some months or year of 6th-letter-ing with this issue I've discovered an additional trick to try as seen below:

18-11_31_40-administrator_-windows-powershell-x86-.jpg

Neither of those is the tablet hardrive. One is C: drive SSD for windows, and the other SATA D: drive. Supposedly what we're looking for there is a 3rd drive which would have Partition Style: "RAW".

The device is not dead -- It is a Samsung Note 10.1 GT-N2013 -- I know this, because I can access oden mode, and until recently I could use it without USB connection. Because of all this, I did attempt to customize it by deleting some "Google" files via Superuser root file manager. So, before you ask, that is a separate issue which is now preventing any tablet side access. What I need is to fix the original USB problem, which has been ongoing for a very long time. I am only here asking now because I can no longer use it as a tablet and to fix I need to flash a ROM onto it -- which of course would require me to fix the original USB access issue.

I'd be happy with anything that helps get beyond the USB, to actually detecting the drive. I can upload my ROM via Oden mode IF I can get a computer to see that it has a drive. I did take it into the computer shop and that computer also could not access via USB.

It does see it as an incoming USB connection, and the tablet has a working drive -- but critical files were recently, after this problem, deleted. I'd be happy to reformat (or something) if only we could establish a connection.

Any ideas?

Technology news on Phys.org
triley said:
I did take it into the computer shop and that computer also could not access via USB.
If that is the case then why do you think that your computer should be able to access it via USB?

Likes Vanadium 50 and anorlunda
triley said:
I did take it into the computer shop and that computer also could not access via USB.

pbuk said:
If that is the case then why do you think that your computer should be able to access it via USB?
Probably because he realizes that not everyone that hangs a sign in the window stating "I Are Computer Fixer" knows all things about all computers.

He logically then came to the hive mind of PF to access some collective wisdom.

Now that my rant is out of the way, all I have is a weak lead that some operating systems need an add-on driver to access some intelligent devices. I suspect that is due to changing standards where older OS's/computers can not recognize later communication standards.

Try this Google search, there are at least many finds!
https://www.google.com/search?&q=computer+does+not+recognize+Samsung+Note+10.1+GT-N2013

Also, some tablets must be put into a "debug" mode before they will talk to a computer via USB. I hope that is not your case!

Another possible source would be Samsung Customer Service:
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/mobile/tablets/galaxy-note-tabs/galaxy-note-10-1/
There is a Chat sticky link on the lower right at the Samsung site.

Hope this helps!
Tom

p.s. Please let us know what you find, especially if it works. :oldbiggrin:

1. What causes the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter" error?

The most common cause of this error is a corrupted or outdated USB driver. It could also be caused by a faulty USB device or a problem with the USB port on your computer.

2. How do I fix the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter" error?

To fix this error, you can try updating the USB driver, reinstalling the driver, or using a different USB port. You can also try connecting the USB device to a different computer to see if the error persists.

3. Can a virus cause the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter" error?

Yes, a virus or malware on your computer can interfere with the USB driver and cause this error. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware to prevent such issues.

4. Is there a way to recover data from a USB device with the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter" error?

If the USB device is still recognized by your computer, you can try using data recovery software to retrieve your files. However, if the device is completely unresponsive, it may not be possible to recover the data.

5. How can I prevent the "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter" error from happening in the future?

To prevent this error, make sure to safely remove your USB devices before unplugging them from your computer. Also, avoid using damaged or faulty USB devices and keep your USB drivers up to date.