Biot-Savart law and Poisson's equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Biot-Savart law from Poisson's equation and the behavior of the integrand when evaluating the field at the point of integration. It is shown that the integrand is not singular and the singularity is caused by the behavior of the volume element. The conversation also mentions the behavior of the solution for a finite conductor and how it differs from the infinitely-long wire case. Additionally, the role of the magnetic field and electric field is mentioned, with a focus on the vector potential A.
Mbert
Dear colleagues,

I have questions regarding Biot-Savart law. From [1], it is shown that the equation (Biot-Savart) is derived from the solution to Poisson's equation (assuming here div A=0)
\begin{equation}
\vec{\nabla}^2 \vec{A} = -\mu \vec{J}
\end{equation}
which is
\begin{equation}
\vec{A}(\vec{r}) =\frac{\mu}{4\pi}\int_V{\frac{\vec{J}{\rm d}^3r'}{\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right|}}
\end{equation}

where $\vec{r}$ is the position where $\vec{A}$ is evaluated and $\vec{r'}$ is the position where the integral is evaluated.

The first thing that troubles me is the singularity $\left|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right|$ when we evaluate the field at the point of integration. For a wire of finite radius, this means that the $\vec{A}$ field inside the conductor is infinite (or am I missing something?). If so, why in books on electromagnetics do we usually replace the conductor by an equivalent filamentary current $I=\vec{J}\cdot{\rm d}\vec{s}$? The field calculated inside the conductor will be different. This can be seen from the solution for the $\vec{B}$ field by using Ampere's equation (for the infinitely-long finite-radius wire)
\begin{equation}
B_{\theta}=\frac{\mu I}{2 \pi \rho}
\end{equation}outside the wire
\begin{equation}
B_{\theta}=\frac{\mu I \rho}{2 \pi R_{wire}^2}
\end{equation} inside the wire

where $R_{wire}$ is the cross-section radius and $(\rho,\theta,z)$ are the cylindrical coordinates. This means essentially that the field at $\rho=0$ is zero and that it is proportional to $\rho$ inside the conductor and inversely proportional to $\rho$ on the outside. How can we get this from the solution to Poisson's equation for a finite-radius wire?

The other thing that troubles me with the solution to Poisson's equation (second equation) is the value of the integrand when $\vec{r}=\vec{r'}$, but outside the wire (thus where J=0). This means we get a 0/0 integrand for each $\vec{r}$ outside the wire, which numerically gives NaN for the whole integral. Is this a problem analytically? because this contribution might (should) be 0, probably by using L'Hopital's rule (I guess).

M.

[1] Smythe,W.R., "Static and dynamic electricity", McGraw-Hill, 1968.

Physics news on Phys.org
M, I know the Poisson integral looks singular, but it is not. What you're forgetting about is the volume element. To see the behavior near r = r', write the integrand near that point in terms of a spherical coordinate, R = |r - r'|. Then d3r = 4π R2 dR, and the integral is like ∫ 4π J(0) R dR, which is nonsingular. The factor in the numerator that comes from the volume element goes to zero faster than the denominator does.

How did the [itex]{\rm d}\theta[/itex] and [itex]{\rm d}\phi[/itex] disappear in spherical coordinates? Isn't that equivalent of considering an infinitesimal rectangular prism [itex]xy{\rm d}z[/itex] (which would also be an infinitesimal volume, but not infinitesimal in all three dimensions)?

M.

In the immediate neighborhood of R = 0, the integrand is spherically symmetric and you can integrate at once over solid angle, producing the factor of 4π. In other words, ∫∫∫ ... d3r = ∫∫∫ ... R2 dR d2Ω = ∫ ... 4π R2 dR

As posted previously in the forums here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119419"

the field of an infinite wire at r=0 is infinity. In your case, are saying that this field should be zero?

From Green's function, it is normal to get infinite vector potential, since we assumed Dirac sources. So the filamentary current case is ok with me. However, what happens inside with a finite conductor (e.g. a cylindrical conductor)? Wouldn't that mean we get infinity everywhere inside? Or this is perhaps where I mix things up.

thanks

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to [itex]\vec{j}=\sigma \vec{E}[/itex] you get a finite electric field inside a finite conductor.

The solution of this standard magnetostatics problem, using the above (approximate, i.e., non-relativistic form of) Ohm's Law, for an infinite wire is a constant electric field along the wire.

I'm interested in the magnetic field B, not the electric field E. That's why I'm interested in the vector potential A, found from the solution of Poisson's equation.

M.

1. What is the Biot-Savart law?

The Biot-Savart law is a fundamental relationship in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current flowing through a conductor and inversely proportional to the distance from the point to the conductor.

2. How is the Biot-Savart law used in practical applications?

The Biot-Savart law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in the study of magnetic fields in materials, such as in MRI machines and magnetic levitation trains.

3. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is an important mathematical equation in electromagnetism that relates the electric potential at a point to the distribution of electric charges in the surrounding space. It is often used to calculate the electric fields in a given area.

4. How does Poisson's equation relate to the Biot-Savart law?

Poisson's equation and the Biot-Savart law are closely related. In fact, the Biot-Savart law can be derived from Poisson's equation by using the principle of superposition and the definition of the electric potential. Poisson's equation is also used in the study of magnetic fields, as it can be extended to the magnetic potential and used to calculate the magnetic field in a given area.

5. Is the Biot-Savart law and Poisson's equation applicable to all types of electric currents?

Yes, the Biot-Savart law and Poisson's equation are applicable to all types of electric currents, including steady, time-varying, and even alternating currents. However, for time-varying and alternating currents, additional considerations must be taken into account, such as the displacement current and Maxwell's equations.